VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

New Crafter

58K views 219 replies 22 participants last post by  Van-Blanc 
#1 ·
Our T5/T6 travels have got ever longer and we are now seriously considering a bigger van with our own facilities to make us less dependent on camp sites and less prone to poor weather. So as a VW fan a Crafter seems to fit the bill and we can afford to buy new. So has anyone any advice of what to spec.? I would like to start with say;

LWB Highline
Auto
4 Motion if I can afford it
LED headlights

There are quite a few must / nice to have boxes to tick in the configuration / price list but are there any hidden options in the dealer info?

In fact has anyone got a copy of / link to the dealer options?

#3 ·
Hey Van Blanc,

Funny you should bring this up, i'm almost finished my T6 Conversion and we are looking at building on the New Crafter MWB / LWB 4 motion chassis in 2 years time.

As we have decided that we will need more room for a shower as we plan on shipping a camper to the States for a 18 month trip.

I'd stretch for the 4 Motion, LED lights are a no brainer if you want to see, my T6 lights are candles.

If you do find out more hidden options or info please post it.

#4 ·
Can't help re Crafter specs - but would definitely agree that getting a bigger van is great for all weather camping

Only potential downsides are height & length! Make sure it'll fit on your drive & don't forget that many car parks have height barriers these days

#6 ·
Height was a big consideration for T5&6 as they were/are daily divers but with big van we need a car as well. In Europe big campers tend to be better catered for than in the UK and here in Norway it is definitely not a problem.

I think I will be able to get a LWB on our drive with an N point turn. I am borrowing one from the dealer to have a go. If anything our problem will be getting a car on as well and my garag3 is full of Bug project. Her in doors fancies a Polo GTi so not too big so here’s hoping.

#5 ·
Hi again Bryn

Glad to hear you have made progress. Our T6 has been great for the past couple of years but we find on longer trips the amount of stuf we have to cart around is a pain. It makes wild camping and Aires difficult because we have no where to put it overnight especially when it’s wet. We want to be able to travel spring, summer and autumn if not winter and 2 adults and a wet dog in a T6 isn’t working well.

We have made a decision that we need need to join all the other big campers but we don5 won’t a Caravan with an engine, we want a panel van. Then we don’t like all the layouts and equipment we see and I can’t say I am a fan of Fiat Ducato so it has to be Crafter or Sprinter. In which case we will stick to VW. We are in Norway atm, see https://vanblanc.blog, but as soon as we are home I plan to borrow a LWB to make sure I can get it on the drive and have a look inside and underneath. If all things are equal we will order one and do a fit out over the winter.

I will let you know what I find out beyond the online configurator but keep an eye on my FB Page @sussexvanbalnc and the blog above.

It’s going to be yet another project as if in needed another one - see FB @bugblanc ?

Rgds

Alistair

#7 ·
Thanks for the blog link Alistair,

I enjoyed reading it.

We have been out camping quite few times with our old dog, It's a tight fit, but we have been lucky that it was fine weather, and he sleeps under the RIB at the moment

We don't have too many height problems with our Midroof T6, with MaxxFan, Solar and a Seikel lift kit, but then we don't have a lot of height bars for car parks.

Although, i did get caught out last week, when we ducked into the the grocery store and they had lowered the height barriers from the week before from 2.5 mtr to 2.4 mtr

#8 ·
So the first problem I see from the literature is that the internal height without any trimming is 1961mm but a 4Motion is only 1861mm before floor, roof lining and skylights. Presumably this is to accommodate the drive train but it knocks 4Motion on head.

#10 ·
I will be watching progress on the proposed Crafter build with interest as we have been pondering such a move for some time.

I've converted five campers in the past fifteen years a T4, 3xT5s & a T6 all LWB hightops so it's not all new to me.

#12 ·
OK, Back from Norway fired up with ideas.

The van is on order, a LWB 140 Auto with lots of boxes ticked. I had to do battle with t6he configurator and only 99% happy with the result but hey ho. If you order the best route is a Trendline + Business Pack and then I added LEDs, single seats, folding mirrors, heated screen, rear view camera and tow hitch.

If anyones interested I got 10% discount and by putting a few quid on finance for a couple of months I got 2 free services and a whopping £4.5K deposit contribution. All of which equates to 20% off list. Also if you are tempted the finance deal is up to end of Sept and there is another 2% price increase on 1st Nov.

#13 ·
We have planned the fit out and I know most of the kit we want to instal so now to hunt around for best deals. Having an away day at the NEC show in October in the hope of getting ideas and picking up kit.

#15 ·
Surprised having 4WD would affect the internal floor to ceiling height. Seems odd.
Had a look at one in dealers in Norway but it doesn't work going for a taller van to stand up in then reducing the height by 100mm and bumping my head.

They had to raise the chassis height to get the running gear in although when you look underneath there is masses of room for heaters, water tanks, battery trays etc..

#18 ·
@Bryn23 trying to get my head around power (again ;) ) and looking at Redarc, possibly Manager. As they are from your part of the world do you have any experience of the kit?

Am going for 2x110AF + 200W Solar + MHU + Inverter and want some info display about state, consumption and solar (both available and harvested).

#19 ·
I seriously looked into the manager 30 and 15 Series 2 before i went to Votronic for the triple charger, and Jupiter 100A panel

I have heard good things about the Redarc, they are well made, the only issue at the time was that there was only one lithium charging profile and it was a fixed profile.

But no issues if using AGM.

I ended up with a 240 Ah Lithium house battery last month after selling my current AGM's, so going to Votronic worked out for me.

The VOC on the solar panel, and what the manager 30/15 can handle is worth reviewing, as that is important

#20 ·
I'm interested in how this progresses as going Crafter has always been in our thoughts. Age and time may be against me converting one though having to start from scratch with the design. T5s & 6s have been no problem as I've done four of them.

We are also thinking of going to the NEC again this Autumn just to see what others have come up with.

Van-Blanc what is the delivery time on your order?

Just one more question, has anyone studied the MAN version as sold in some parts of Europe? Is it exactly the same except for the badge?

Rod

#21 ·
I said about the last 2 vans that they would be our last but this one has to be as its coming straight out of the pension pot. However if we want to be able to travel for the next 10-15 years while we still can it has to be done. Who knows, the way things are going we might have to live in it ;)

The van is on order - should be 12 weeks but have provisional January until we get confirmation. Meanwhile I have it set out on CAD and got everything spreadsheeted. ATM we have a pretty well defined spec so are playing with details and waiting to find an unlined van that I can get accurate dims from.

Going to NEC on the Thursday with moolah in hand. TBH having spent 5 weeks touring Norway and looking at just about every variant you can imagine and some you can't we don't expect to see too many new big ideas just details of kit.

MAN is the same thing, they are VAG, but being the truck market may be slightly different spec. I believe someone else uses the chassis design - might be Iveco.

If you are serious I would recommend you go and talk to a dealer now. The price we got isn't going to be around for long.

#30 ·
New Crafter Insulation

Looking at the order of doing things when I get my hands on it.

First job will be to fit the wind out canopy thereby doubling the working space.

There are a few early things to sort such as cable and pipe routes.

Insulation will be high on the list but I am not sure which route to go. I am between all spray foam or Space Blanket and fill the structural members with spray foam. Foam would be about £25/m2 to about 40mm but Space Blanket has a much better U value. I guess my only concern with SB is moisture. Thoughts alone?

#34 ·
Re: New Crafter Insulation

Insulation will be high on the list but I am not sure which route to go. I am between all spray foam or Space Blanket and fill the structural members with spray foam. Foam would be about £25/m2 to about 40mm but Space Blanket has a much better U value. I guess my only concern with SB is moisture. Thoughts alone?
I would avoid spray foam insulation. Go for the recycled plastic bottles wool, and DoDo insulation to form a vapour barrier.

https://www.deadening.co.uk/collections/dodo-mat

#31 ·
Time to buy some of the longer lead items so that we can start work as soon as we get the van.

We are off to the Motorhome show at the NEC this week looking for detail ideas and with CC and Cash to buy bits and pieces.

#33 ·
You do realise that a 4Motion has a 100mm higher floor so before conversion is only 1800mm head room?

We were going to but honestly would rather have space that rarely used 4WD. After all that was the purpose of going Big Van.

#35 ·
So came home from the Motorhome show with;

Fiamma F64S with New Crafter roof kit
Wallas XC Duo
Vitifrigo SLIM150
Votronic VBCS 60/40/430 Triple
Votronic VPC Jupiter 400
Votronic Inverter SMI 1700 ST NVS
Votronic Bluetooth-Connector S-BC
Votronic Tank Sensors
Aguti Seat Swivels

As well as identifying some other kit that needs ordering our visit confirms for us that we have a better plan for our conversion that just about all of those on offer from converters / builders.

#37 ·

Cool, look forward to your build updates, as I understand it, your waiting on a 2019 Crafter correct? I already have ours, had it since May of this year, and my plan is to convert it like yourself, I have around 85% of everything that needs adding, with just the underslung water tank, and LPG to sort out, oh and the roof raking system, and solar, I have x 2 150W solar panels to go on the roof along with a pair of fantastic fans.

#39 ·

Cool, look forward to your build updates, as I understand it, your waiting on a 2019 Crafter correct? I already have ours, had it since May of this year, and my plan is to convert it like yourself, I have around 85% of everything that needs adding, with just the underslung water tank, and LPG to sort out, oh and the roof raking system, and solar, I have x 2 150W solar panels to go on the roof along with a pair of fantastic fans.
Yes WK47 build so will be here end of Dec / early Jan. What spec is yours?

Our layout is a large front salon using a SmartBeds Evolution II to give us maximum day space, a mid kitchen and an across the back toilet / shower with a little bit of "garage" space accessible from the rear.

Will get tanks from CAC. They haven't done a kit yet although they have supplied a couple of converters each with different tanks. However they do so many variations it will be easy to work something out.

We are not going to use gas. Have ordered a Wallas XCDuo again and will get a diesel water heater. Saves all the grief of carrying gas and doesn't create moisture. We have used one in our T6 for a couple of years and it has been brilliant.

I will put a couple of 200W panels on the roof and 2 x 200Ah batteries. Should give us plenty of juice.

What windows and roof vents are you using? I am erring toward S7s for a nicer frame with a Midi Heiki in the roof and a Fiamma 280 in the toilet / shower.

Damn, can't appear to be able to edit my post above to correct spellings, is that n normal on these forums, the edit function not available for newbies?
Have to be paid up subscriber ;)

#40 ·

Final interior layout has yet to be decided, but there will be a full shower, and compost toilet.

Specs of our Crafter are 2.0TDi Diesel, Manual, 136hp, no windows at all right now, but plan on two flares with narrow window in each. Currently there's a twin front passenger seat, this will be removed =for a single on swivel, my drivers seat has the air ride, and no swivel available for these type seats as far as I can tell.

This is the only photo I have of our van at the moment. Taken the day I picked it up.

Picked up my new van by S STEEL, on Flickr

#41 ·

Final interior layout has yet to be decided, but there will be a full shower, and compost toilet.

Specs of our Crafter are 2.0TDi Diesel, Manual, 136hp, no windows at all right now, but plan on two flares with narrow window in each. Currently there's a twin front passenger seat, this will be removed =for a single on swivel, my drivers seat has the air ride, and no swivel available for these type seats as far as I can tell.
Snap.

Ours is LWB 140 Auto Irridium Grey Trendline +++. I spec'd single comfort+ seats (not swivels because you loose the bulkhead and then they force rear door windows if you want an alarm). Have ordered Aguti swivels, the only ones so far OK'd with new Crafter, same as Westfalia use for both seats and will remove the bulkhead.

#42 ·

Yeah sorry, LWB 170. I've already removed the bulk head, and the rear smaller part of the floor, its been a nightmare, as the previous single owner from new Sikaflex the floor panels down, so been having to use some wooden wedges, and a big hammer, then when raised enough, using a long blade saw, cut away the bonding.

#47 ·
I see talk of roof fans ....
I strongly suggest you both look at the MaxxAir Fans in preference to Fantastic Vent Fans or Heiki Vents. They are considerably more expensive but worth it.
Put it this way ... if you watch various videos on Youtube from self-converters, you see plenty of people regretting their fantastic fan installs, but only when they have found the MaxxAir Fan. I've never seen a Maxxair buyer wishing they bought a different unit.

I've got the Maxxair Deluxe with Remote Control and 10-speed options (both in AND out) and it is one of the best purchases I have made for my conversion despite the cost (UK Supplier here - http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.u...deluxe-roof-vent-fan-with-remote-control.html)

#48 ·
I'm going for a simple roof light, Midi Heiki, over the kitchen area for daylight light as much as anything else and a simple extractor over the toilet / shower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.