Old 16-05-19, 05:37
Lord of the Crafters
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Not really relevant to your van, but I had my van weighed in its basic motorhome setup and came in at 2950Kg - so represents the ULW. Got a ticket from the weighbridge showing this as it is a critical number (under 3050kg ULW in a Motor Caravan means you can travel at car speeds). Useful to have this info and is a shame you didn't check the weight at the earlier stage as the ULW is not recorded anywhere.

Took my van to a weighbridge yesterday and with everything in it, two people, half water tank and near empty fuel tank, I was at 4000kg (extra weight was more furniture, more solar and 1,000Ah more batteries). And managed to do an emergency stop from 40MPH to zero in 36 Metres!
Yes, I suppose it’s a discussion about how much can be taken out to get back to 3050kg batteries, panels, seat bed, fridge, hob etc are simple bolt ons whereas the insulation, panelling and furniture are screwed and glued. What is your MGW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley dog View Post
Wow, I will have to get mine weighed when we are finished, I was hoping to come in under 3000 kg all up, was the 3280 with two people on board? Do you have to get a tacho fitted for that weight?
No, just half tanks of fuel and water so 80kg and I know how much we weigh - too much again

Brochure weight for a LWB is between 2060 & 2460kg depending on spec. While I assumed midway I now realise that was wrong. There was not too much else I could have added and the tow bar istself must be 50kg the only compensation was taking out the bulkhead at say 25kg.

The other thing to beware of is axle weight, mine is 1800/2100 and most of my weight is between mid axles to the rear axle. Something I will check in a couple of weeks once we have finished the shower tray.

No you don’t need a tacho. There are a whole list of exceptions including non commercial use which includes Motor Caravans. Makes me smile though - without the exceptions your Roller would look neat with a tacho in the middle of the walnut

DVSA are into pulling Mohos right now. Last year they found 80% were overweight. SVTech did their own survey at shows and found 50% overweight. Mainly because they are designed with very little spare weight and folk load them up without realising and oblivious to the consequence.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Volkswagen Crafter?
My friends all drive Sprinters, I must make amends.

Last edited by Van-Blanc; 16-05-19 at 05:53.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-05-19, 08:22
Van Pro

We were pulled up in France a few years ago in the Land Rover, just in a lay by at the side of a main road, they weighed each axle and compare to the registration document, we were well under but there were others who seemed to be over not sure what the penalty is .
Old 18-05-19, 07:48
Lord of the Crafters

Sitting hear on a peaceful campsite I realise what is needed - a means of overriding the head unit auto off function.

It lasts however long and the shuts off but, and here is the strange thing, I open a door and the radio comes back on presumably triggered by the courtesy light switch

I donít need to power it from the leisure batteries as the starter is also charged from the solar. And we donít use the head unit for sounds all the time - thatís taken care of by an Ultimate Ears Megaboom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-19, 12:38
Lord of the Crafters

Looks like the same occurs with the interior/courtesy lights. They wonít work after the same period of time. Do is it an actual timer module or VCDS module setting? In which case where in the VCDS?

Old 20-05-19, 09:07
Van Guru

Yeah.........I haven't figured it out yet either.
I just close and open a door again!
Old 24-05-19, 16:35
Lord of the Crafters

Seems the head unit on/off delay is managed in the VCDS. Getting this looked into in a couple of weeks.

Old 27-06-19, 09:49
Van Rookie

Great thread and website, well done!

I'm just speccing a new Volkswagen Crafter CR35 MWB 140PS Trendline Business Van Auto

Options I would like:
  • Adaptive cruise control (£1,062)
  • Rear view camera (£270)
  • Rear wing doors with windows (£168)
  • Delete bulkhead (£0)
  • Comfort+ single drivers seat w/ lumbar support and arm rests (£96)
  • Comfort+ single passenger seat (-£84)
  • Swivel seats (driver is £234 and passenger only £18)
There is an option of "side window - sliding in passenger compartment front passenger side" - do you know if this means the sliding door?

I plan to put solar on the roof eventually and saw you guys discussing roof rails, it seems cheaper to buy them later and get exactly what I want?

For reference these are the Trendline/Business options:

Quote:
Trendline options:
* 'Composition Media' 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
* DAB radio and App Connect
* 'Comfort' driver's seat with two-way lumbar adjustment and armrest
* Cruise control with speed limiter
* Multi-function steering wheel
* Load area grab handles
* Wooden load floor
* 270-degree rear door opening
Business pack options:

* Air-conditioning
* Front and rear parking sensors
* Overhead storage in the cab
* Alarm
Old 27-06-19, 13:54
Van Pro

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's quite a lot cheaper to spec the roof rail option from the factory, I made the rails for mine but seem to remember Van Blanc saying they were nearly twice as much to buy after market, it's only the rails that run down the length of the van that you need to spec from new the cross bars to suit the solar you can get from anywhere.
Old 27-06-19, 14:09
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley dog View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's quite a lot cheaper to spec the roof rail option from the factory, I made the rails for mine but seem to remember Van Blanc saying they were nearly twice as much to buy after market, it's only the rails that run down the length of the van that you need to spec from new the cross bars to suit the solar you can get from anywhere.
Thanks - yes I read the same, but when I looked at the option "Roof Rails" it is £250+VAT. I can't actually see these online now I am looking again.

If I went for something like a Rhino roof rack: https://www.rhinoroofracks.com/volks...high-roof.html

I don't think this would need the rails at all, just the mounting points that I presume come as standard?
Old 27-06-19, 16:33
Lord of the Crafters

[QUOTE=banksy69;6526847]Thanks - yes I read the same, but when I looked at the option "Roof Rails" it is £250+VAT. I can't actually see these online now I am looking again.

If I went for something like a Rhino roof rack: https://www.rhinoroofracks.com/volks...high-roof.html

I don't think this would need the rails at all, just the mounting points that I presume come as standard?[/QUOT]

If you want to mount a Fiamma F65 type roof mount awning you need either the VW rails or specific Fiamma gutter brackets. Just fiting a Rhino rack to the roof won't do it. You could however fit a Rhino rack and hang any old awning off it.

The "mounting points" are just holes in the gutter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in