Old 19-06-19, 19:27
Van Man

Default T4 bilbo celeste fridge help!

Hi all
Another day, another query!
We have been out twice in our van now and loving it.
However... the fridge only works for a short amount of time when on hook up and then the low battery light flashes. I'm not sure what the problem is? The control panel shows a switch for main, off, aux so we have been having it on main when hooked up and aux when driving. I'm not sure if we are not using the right switches or something wrong with the leisure battery not getting charge.
Last weekend the fridge worked on hook up for about 4 hours and then went off.
Opened it the next day and it started again and then flashed low battery.
We are baffled, I cant find any issue such as this on the web, so thought I would throw it out to u guys.
The van is 20 years old.
Any advice appreciated. We are new at this and obviously (maybe) doing something wrong but not sure what....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-19, 19:12
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: T4 bilbo celeste fridge help!

Sorry to read about your problem with the fridge.
Is it a Dometic fridge that is fitted to you van?
What happens if you run the fridge on gas does it work OK.
When the fridge is on 240 volts mains hook up you say it cuts out after 4 hours does the green light on the rocker switch go out indicating that you have lost power /
The 12 volt battery power will only work when the engine is running.
On 240 volts the control panel needs to be set on MAINS
When on hook up a red bulb will light on the control panel
Hope this helps I can send photos of my set up if it will help
Old 22-06-19, 17:44
Van Expert

T4 Post Icon Re: T4 bilbo celeste fridge help!

If the fridge fitted in your Bilbo Celeste is the same as fitted in our 2002 Celeste then it is NOT a three way Dometic but 12v only Waeco Coolmatic. This runs on 12v only from the auxiliarybattery which in turn is charged from the engine when running or from 240v mains via a transforme/rectifier when on site hook up. The switch main/off/aux should normally be left in the AUX position at all times. This will allow the auxiliary battery to be charged and the fridge to run without problem both whilst travelling and/or on site hook up. No change to switch position needed at any time whether travelling or camping. Just turn the fridge to 0 when you get home and empty it to avoid flattening the aux battery.

If wild camping without hook up a decent auxiliary battery should run the fridge OK for a day or so before it starts flashing low voltage. Bilbo have said 3 days but think this would be pushing the limits .If however you move on each day then the aux battery gets topped up by the engine so fridge would be OK

When travelling the engine alternater charges both the starter battery and the auxiliary battery. However the split charge relay included in the electrics system does not permit the fridge (or anything else connected to the auxuliary battery ) to drain the engine starter battery to always ensure an engine start but understand that if the three way switch is put in the main position then the engine battery could be charged from the site hook up. Have never had need to test this hence the switch has always been left in the AUX position.

Suspect from your post that your use of this switch has prevented the auxiliary battery from ever being fully charged. Try putting the switch to the AUX position and just leaving it there and see whether this resolves your problems.

NB Have removed the shelf from our fridge and replaced it with a plywood stand approx half the width . This allows tall bottles(milk wine?) to stand either side with dairy/salad etc on the stand in the centre. Far better use of the fridge space

Alleygater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-06-19, 18:04
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: T4 bilbo celeste fridge help!

Here are a few more ideas
Compressor Refrigerator
A compressor fridge is a 12v only unit drawing its power from the auxiliary battery and does not run on gas. It is voltage sensitive and will stop working when the battery voltage drops too low.To warn you of this occurrence the red light near the thermostat dial will start to flash. To stop it flashing the power supply to the fridge must be temporarily interrupted. The easiest way to do this is to remove the 15A fuse located on the thick blue cable near the Auxiliary battery positive terminal then refit it.This is located under the drivers seat.

Check the battery voltage with a multi meter It should be 12 or 13 volts.How old is the battery there is a code stamped on the casing .
Connect to a 240 volt supply and with the multi meter you can check to see if it is getting a supply.

Any problems get back to us
Old 11-07-19, 05:13
Van Man

Hey guys.
Thanks very much for your replies!
We are out this weekend in the van and I think from reading your replies that we need the chather to be set on Aux. We have done this overnight at home, hooked up and seems to be ok, so I will report back after the weekend.
We will just leave the switch on Aux and see what happens.
If I'm understanding this right, the EHU charges the leisure battery which in turn runs the fridge? In which case our settings have been wrong as we seems to have been charging the mains battery rather than the fridge!
I will let you all know anyways.
Thanks for getting back to me. Fingers crossed it works properly this weekend!!
Old 15-07-19, 21:08
Van Man

Thank u all for ur guidance. We went away this weekend. Got a new leisure battery before we left. It was on Aux the whole time and ran fine so think we have found our problem. Were away for 2 nights and the fridge ran fine so am hoping it was just the wrong settings.
Thanks for all the help. We are away again in 2 weeks (loving it!) And hopefully we will have no more issues!
Old 15-07-19, 21:09
Van Man

Special thanks to Alleygater2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in