VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

miles per tank??

3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  TH Performance 
#1 ·
2.5 tdi 102 - full tank last week and the fuel light was on before 500 miles and thats driving steady 65 - 70 on motorways!
i can live with it but have mate who have seen over 700 before the light! can anyone shed and light or advice on this?
many thanks

#3 ·
I guess a bit will be to do with what your carrying, I would imagine an empty van will do more to the gallon than a fully laiden camper. Mines quite a heavy van with rear seats and I always leave all the camping gear in it. Usually I get 550miles from £100 driving about mix of A and B roads but then when we went round Scotland last month with even more weight in £100 (full tank) got me 760 miles. That was on the country lanes though doing 40ish mph average.

#4 ·
My 2.5 88hp (PP2 --> 137.7) running Diesel Rhino gets 38mpg at the moment, about 660-670 a full tank.

I suggest sending your injectors off to Keith?Rake at United Diesel to be reconditioned or just biting the bullet and going down the PP route.

#7 ·
My 102hp 2.5 will do over 700 motorway miles on a tankful, think my record was 730, would have made it to 750 but lost my nerve!

No secret to it really. Don't exceed 55mph, and try to keep her at a constant speed - do as little speeding up or braking by thinking well ahead.

#20 ·
That's just rubbish. It's the same fuel. Comes from the same refinery.

Well does here, I worked at off sites at totalfinaelf in milfordford haven, fuel went to tesco Morrisons murco total elf even shell tankers came in when supplies were slow at their own depot.

Diesel is diesel , it all meets the same bs number

#15 ·
I've got a 2.5 88bhp and get around 675 miles until the fuel light appears from a brimmed tank, i suspect that there could be another 10 to 20 in the reserve but have never taken it right to the limit.

This is across a mixture of all road types, so a good general guide. I don't drive like Miss Daisy but i'm conscious its a van not my company car, and i'm paying for the diesel in the tank.

#18 ·
I've only done brim to empty once (can't afford to fill it right up now) and got 550 miles from a tank (2.5 88bhp), 31mpg. last time I did a big fill, 2/3 full, I managed 460. So from that a full tank should have given me 690 miles, 39 mpg!

I'm always carrying different stuff in the van but it's rarely a heavy load, I guess 250kg max. I tend to sit at a steady 65mph on motorways and 60 on other roads if there's nothing in the way. I usually fill up where ever's cheapest, so usually a supermarket. The only constant change between these two fills has been going from steelies to alloys, saving 9kg per wheel.

#23 ·
I commute 500 miles a week plus all my usual running about probably 650 a week, easy on a tank full only seen my fuel light once when I did a brim to light test, bricked myself thought it was brokenLOL: Was going down a 1 in 4 mindI:
Brim to light was 693 1.9td with tweaks. On average im easy getting 36/38 mpgA: Oh yea on straight veg at 75p a litre.
Probably a few more miles to be had with the light on :*

#24 ·
Im on my 4th tank from owning my T4, in 4 weeks, always fill up on a Sunday afternoon

First week I managed 460 miles till refill.

Second week I managed 565 miles, after an oil change, filter, egr blank & egr clean, K&N airfilter. (had been 4+years)

Third week I pushed nearly 620 miles after dumping a can of BG44K in, this stuff is magic in a can...

Forth week and were only at 190 odd miles, so time will tell what the service and BG44K have done.....

I am over the moon with the range, my RWD transit T330 had so much torque you could'nt help but boot it and returned 22-25 mpg

#26 ·
AJT EGR blank and remap.

Regularly get to 600 from a full tank.

I find the key is to keep it between 2-3000 revs, even if that means changing down.

Keeping that turbo on the boil is really important.

By 3000 in 5th you are over 70 and aerodynamics really start to kick in.

The T4 has the streamlined properties of a block of flats so keeping to around 60-5 makes a huge diference for consupmtion without making a massive diference on journey times.

Well unless you get in the groove and drive everywhere at 95, though at that speed I swear I can see the fuel needle moving.

Rhys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.