Old 08-08-14, 18:31
Literally, white van man
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentHelp For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Steel wheel centre caps with small logo- fitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen00 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I ordered standrd T4 steel wheel bolts through Colese. It is turning into a bit of a saga now, have to make another post.

The steels are original factory finish. I always wanted the original wheels back on, but obviously always had trouble getting a nice set at the age they are. So compared to getting a reasonable set 2nd hand, shot blasting then powder coated against the price for new original VW ones wasn't that much really.

Just a bit annoyed right now as the tyre garage can't fit the front ones! With standard bolts and standard wheels
Why can't they fit them? what do they say?

It is possible that your van has the incompatible brake calipers (lucas) the Teves/ATE calipers have enough clearance.

Chris

'There's a lot to be said for understatement'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-14, 18:53
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Sounds interesting. The current alloys are these, were on the Bus when I got it a year ago. I do know they have spigots, as previously a tyre place said one was missing

Well the problem is now...

Tyres arrived Wednesday, great off down to local tyre garage. Now I always thought the alloys were held on by original bolts

I think you can make them out on this photo. Now the steels that replace them match the part number of the wheels that were on when new. So in theory it should have been a simple case of remove battered alloys, fit steels.

When I returned on Wednesday they had not put on the wheels. They said the current wheel bolts were about 4mm too long and only fit with the alloys. When putting them on with the steels, they were "sticking out". Old wheels back on, so I return home and decide to get a full set of standard T4 steel wheel bolts. I had not seen the bolts so just assumed they must be different. The new ones came from Transporters R Us, through Colese.

Returned to the garage today, new bolt set in hand. They get busy, back wheel gpes on fine. I think it's all sorted. Then after 5 mins or so the dude comes back to tell me they still can't fit the front wheels . This is the passenger side front. He shows me the 2 bolts, the ones I brought with me (new, standard) and the ones that were holding the alloys on. The are the SAME size !!!!!
Looking back to Wednesday, I think the front was the first one he tried fitting and didn't try any others.

The say they simply don't fit, and that the front needs shorter bolts The rear steel went on fine, they were doing 1 side at a time as had more staff there.

Now as far as I know, there should be no need to have different length wheel bolts. I ask if there is anything that the front could have that the rear doesn't? They don't know. They try some spray, thinking maybe rust. They get the electric wheel bolt device...nope it definately still sticks out by alot when there is no wheel on. I think they measured at least 4mm extra thread when the bolt was wound in as far as it could go, with no wheel on. They say a shorter bolt is needed for the fronts.

If it was the spigots, then surely with no wheel on the bolts should wind in the right amount?

I really don't know where to start with this one, what seemed like such a simple job has just turned into a real nightmare. Now I'm wondering are the disc brakes at the front standard? Should they be drums like the back? Probably wouldn't matter, so ideas on this appreciated !!!!!

At least I know how to put on the centre caps now....I think I may put them up on the wall somewhere as it isn't looking like they are going on the steels just yet!
Old 08-08-14, 18:57
Van Jedi

Yes Fatboy35, I was wondering about the calipers, just wasn't sure if it would affect the wheel fit
Old 08-08-14, 19:16
Literally, white van man
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentHelp For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Ok, if the 'original wheels' are the same number as the ones you have now it is 'unlikely' that the brake calipers are the issue (also this would not result in the bolts being too long)

Perhaps the brake discs have been replaced with non standard/pattern parts and the face of the disc on the hub is too shallow (the thickness is less on the disc mounting face)

One solution is to fit universal spacers, however I am unsure how thick you can go without them being hubcentric (I'm sure Si Colese can advise)

Strange one for sure, let us know how you get on.

I have a set of your wheels on my later van (I have the TEVES/ATE calipers)

(only a rattle can job, but cost 65 ish all in, wheels, tyres, hub caps and paint. 10 meter pretty, looks pretty from 10 meters )

Chris

'There's a lot to be said for understatement'
Old 08-08-14, 19:31
Van Jedi

Nice looking steels! I'd love to see a set of those on my Bus!!!! Only problem is they would never fit

I really don't know what is causing it, would have taken a pic but didn't have anything with me to take a pic of what was there behind the wheel.

The hub looked rusty and in keeping with the bus, so did the caliper really. Even so a wrong disc surely couldn't make up 4-5mm?

Looks like will have to phone somewhere and get it all looked at.
Old 08-08-14, 19:39
Beardy Bus Driver
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Being a pre'96 van I don't see calipers being an issue either. And they wouldn't stop the wheel bolt going in far enough.

Helen, -presuming that's your name - did one front side go on okay and the other not? That would rule out brake disc thickness. But I don't see this being the problem as what's the point in making a disc 4mm thinner than OEM.

I believe you could fit 5mm spacers without worrying about the hub centric ness. But that's more expense on top of what has already been a lot I guess.

It's just possible that the thickness of the alloys meant that some crud build up in the hub behind the disc (brake dust, grease etc) and this has hardened over time. Maybe ask the garage to run a 12mm drill in the hole. I believe the holes go through the hub. But there is a CV joint back there so be careful.

Standard bolts are 35mm BTW so there should be that much depth to the hole at least.
Good luck and keep us posted. I too have older steel wheels on a later van for my winters.

You don't have to grow up. You just need a bigger bike.
Old 08-08-14, 20:36
Van Jedi

Ha ha yea it's my name, I do sometimes think I should have thought of a more imaginative username!

Would a 95 T4 have any spacers on the hub as standard? Does anyone have a photo of what the hub should look like on this year model? It could be the wrong discs, say if they have been replaced with some from another vehicle? Maybe then the part that goes over the hub could be the wrong thickness?

I think if it is all standard, then crud in the holes on the inner side could be likely That is what the tyre fitters thought it could be. I can't say re the other side at the front as they didn't bother going any further when they got to the problem. The rear does have drum brakes so I take it that kind of problem would be less likely at the rear. Although it would have to be at least 2cm of it!
Old 11-08-14, 00:13
Van Jedi

Well it turns out the problem was caused by gunk in the hub threads from the alloys being on and not using the 5mm or so of thread that the bolt uses with the steels.

All fixed with a bit of time, some Wynns engine cleaner and rotating a bolt backwards and forwards. No wrong hubs, calipers etc etc.

Have 2 wheels on now, taking it back tomorrow so they can finish the job!

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions and advice!
Old 18-11-17, 16:02
Van Rookie

Hi,

Missing one of these plates on my van. Do you know where I can buy one?

thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in