VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

No belts for my Rock n. Roll. Passengers?

883 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  paul20v 
#1 ·
Read a few threads on here but they all seem a little old.

Am I OK on the law side of things with having a couple of passengers in the back on a retro fitted Rock n' roll with no belts?
(Van is 1999, if that makes a difference)

I know it isn't really safe to have people without belts in and it would be a rare exception for it to ever happen. And only for very short distances.

But If I am in a spot and "need" to have two people in the back on the R'n'R. Am I Legal? :*

Cheers guys. :ILU:

#2 ·
I am sure everyone will keep this on topic and no further note will be made of how unsafe it isT:

Is there not some kind of odd clause for registered campers that you do not need belts :confused: as long as pre a certain age which if the pub hearsay I was told this during is correct is actually quite recent like 2000 or such like :*

#7 ·
i would ask your insurence co.as im aware if no seat belts fitted there is no legal reqirement to stop passengers using the seat unit.but it is highly dangerous in accident.think of the weight of people coming forward to hit front seats..if belts are fitted they must be used.

#8 ·
This is out of the MOT test guide:

Occasional seats that fold down when not in use are not required to be fitted with seat belts. Care must be taken in assessing whether seats are, by manufacture, intended for everyday use with the ability to be folded for extra luggage space or intended for occasional use. Seats for everyday use should not be considered as “occasional” seats.

There is also this :

A goods vehicle which has been converted to a passenger vehicle specification (i.e. fitted with rear seats and side windows etc.) must comply with the relevant “passenger vehicle” requirements.

obviously thou i would take a RnR bed as an occasional seat T:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.