Old 15-05-19, 21:06
Van Rookie

Default New member

I have just joined the forum despite having been around Volkswagen vans for an eternity. From early childhood there was always one in the family, right back to the early seventies. There were several Type 2 pickups, two Type 25s (our first diesels) followed by a Type 4 2.4D and then to the 2003 T4 2.5 TDI that I am currently driving. This Kombi has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and in nine years hasn't missed a beat. That is to be expected though as it only has 235000 miles on it, so it's barely run in!

I have just bought a T5 Shuttle 1.9 TDI which appears to have been pretty well looked after by its previous owners but is of course displaying all those issues that I have since discovered are part and parcel of T5 ownership for everyone. The difference in quality between the T4 and T5 was a bit of a shock I must admit but the latter is a nicer place to spend some time. If it turns out to be less than reliable and I am waiting on a tow then that would be important. :-D

I have the obligatory leaking side windows, my drivers door bottom hinge is missing its spring, there's a bit of a clunk when the engine fires up and when taking up the drive, the rear washer system has a broken brass tube and has apparently been washing the inside of the tailgate for who knows how long, the tailgate latch and associated plug connector are both knackered as a result, the sliding door handles have made their way through the paint and the steering needs attention. I have so far addressed some of these things and and a few others via some serious digging through this forum. I hope to sort out the rest soon enough also.

No doubt I will discover other things that I will want to address and I notice that maybe I am not alone in liking things on my van to be just so. There is one issue though which has me baffled and I cannot walk past the van without it catching my eye so I am sure I may yet have to ask advice about that one, but so far so good with everything else that I have tackled.

The information on this forum has been truly invaluable; ....ownership would be an awful lot more expensive otherwise.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and offer my appreciation for all the knowledge and know how freely given. It's half the battle when you know what to look for and how to fix it.

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-05-19, 21:37
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New member

Welcome mate,,

You seem to have things in hand, what is the long term plan, camper or as is with 8/9 seater?

We all like photos on here.

Good luck with the new toy..
Old 16-05-19, 06:11
Serial Poster

2nd for a picture
Welcome to the forum bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-05-19, 06:29
Senior Moderator
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW TransporterModerator

Welcome along to the forum, there is an endless amount of information on here and advice.

Kent regional Meet... Dockside Outlet Wed 29th May from 7:30.
Old 16-05-19, 09:55
Van Master Jedi

T5 Post Icon Re: New member

Welcome to the forum.
As said before, great info and inspiration on here.
"Let the spending begin"
Old 16-05-19, 20:36
Van Rookie

Thanks everyone.

I like a vehicle with plenty of room for whatever I may want to throw into it, an elevated driving position and something capable of pulling a trailer reasonably well on occasion. It fits the bill on all those counts and as such I intend to use it as is, albeit with a few improvements. Honestly some of the things you see on this forum could part a man with some of his money very easily. There are some truly very pretty vans here.

Mine's just a bog standard Shuttle SE with nine seats, nothing out of the ordinary, but I must admit to being tempted to fit a single passenger seat in the front at some point. They're hard to get, usually well worn and expensive when they do show up so we will have to see about that once I get everything else into shape. I would certainly miss the storage under the double front seat as that is where the essentials of motoring will reside i.e. jump leads, compressor, tow rope etc etc. Handy things to have when you find yourself in need of them.

My T4 Kombi pulls like a train and I love it, but the lack of aircon and rear heat didn't suit children seated in the back. No matter how much I turned up the heat in the front, it never seemed to make it much past the three front seats and in hot weather it was unbearable. Not ideal. It also needed the bodywork tidied so all in all, I decided that getting something with a better spec made more sense. I just hope that when the temperature drops again that I find I have a working rear heater in the Shuttle. Time will tell. I do know that my aircon isn't kicking in so I"ll have it re-gassed first before looking elsewhere.

I have just cleaned the EGR but in truth, there wasn't much there other than some oil. There is also a box of service parts freshly arrived from Germany and I have the colour coding of the door mirrors and the handles to attend to as well. I couldn't afford a Caravelle but no one else has to know that until I open the doors. I think it will look better than the plain black plastic which admittedly isn't ugly in itself either. In time I will probably carry out all the popular mods including the additional door rubbers, side rubbing strips and of course the radio cassette is going to have to go. I'm surprised it is still there but I suppose it demonstrates the originality of the van. A double din Pumpkin appeals to me so I may well get one at some point but right now ensuring the van is mechanically good is the main priority. There's no point spending too much money until I have put a few miles on it and determined whether it is worth it or not. There are so many things I would like to do but right now I'm just happy to have it.
Old 16-05-19, 22:08
Senior Plus Moderator.
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW TransporterModerator

Welcome to the forum mate and it looks like you’ve done your homework already.

Good luck!

BJ
Old 17-05-19, 06:26
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum. Looks like peeps on here will be tapping into your vast knowledge on all things Vdub
Old 18-05-19, 09:55
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivanwy View Post
Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum. Looks like peeps on here will be tapping into your vast knowledge on all things Vdub
I'm a long way from that! I'm just like many others here, trying to find my way as I go. Apart from some mechanical ability, my "vast knowledge" extends to little more than what I can remember of having read here.

Thanks for the welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in