VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Which clutch and Flywheel kit?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  brionline 
#1 ·
Do I stick with the DMF, or go solid? Considering my wife is going to be driving the van and the dual mass flywheel is meant to cushion the drive line I would favour the DMF option. But my mind isn't made up so opinions welcomed.

Also which brand? Sachs, my preference but budget won't really allow. LUK which I've read good things and well within budget. Or there are others Borg & Beck or Scheffler?

Any that I should stay clear of? And do I stick with DMF or sharpen the wife's clutch skills?

Cheers Jonnie

#5 ·
I agree it was done with a reason , I think the reason being they could make more money from the customer.

I have work as an engineer in the motor industry and I am under no illusion that not all the changes that are made are made for the customer in mind.

I was told by a senior Vauxhall engineer many years ago that the drive towards computers in car was not led by improvements in efficacy but by the companys wish to get customers back into dealer ships to get work carried out .

I would go for a solid clutch you will not notice the difference except in your pocket

#3 ·
Just had my clutch replaced along with a solid flywheel.
There isn't any vibrations/noise, if you didn't know it was a solid flywheel then you really wouldn't notice the difference.
I had also read stories off dash boards vibrating apart and other horror stories on this and other forums but decided it had more plus points than minus.
I've been driving it for three weeks now and just done a 1600 km trip through Germany without any problems .... untill this morning but that is a totally different problem.
If it was me and I needed a clutch I would go with the solid one.

#10 ·
Cheers for all the opinions fellas T:

In the end I went for a solid flywheel. Feels exactly the same, except the judder. And only time will tell if I've made the right choice. Got the whole lot done for £600 including a new crank seal as the old one was a bit weepy.

Only thing was after a couple of miles, the off side drive shaft parted company with gearbox :eek: and I came to a halt. Managed to get a lift from a AA truck round to the garage and all's well now. Very embarrassed mechanic. And he gave me some cash back and I'm owed a few favours. T:

#13 ·
Alright there fella,

Still going strong. Can't say I've noticed any difference really. I think any changes will be long term. Either on more wear on the 'box due to less dampening from the DMF or cheaper clutch replacement next time this comes round.

One thing I didn't say last time was the old DMF wasn't that bad and the clutch plate was flat spotted in a couple of places. There was play in the DMF but it wasn't massive. Hardly perceptible with your hand. Start putting the amount of torque provided by the engine and it was a different story.

Hi Guys.

You all seem to have a lot of knowledge towards this area, so I will post a question here and hope you can help me.

When I accelerate, I get a sideways wobble/vibration. It appears that the harder I accelerate the worse it can be.
This can happen at all different speeds. It's not a harsh vibration, and it's not all the time sort of thing. Just seems to be there under hard acceleration..

I don't think it's a wheel balance issue... could it be my DMF ?

Regards

Brian.
Hi Brian,

Depending on mileage I know T5s have a problem with the driveshaft at around 50-60k miles. There might be more answers in the T5 section though. You've stumbled into the T4 section fella. I:

Cheers Jonnie

#14 ·
Alright there fella,

Still going strong. Can't say I've noticed any difference really. I think any changes will be long term. Either on more wear on the 'box due to less dampening from the DMF or cheaper clutch replacement next time this comes round.

One thing I didn't say last time was the old DMF wasn't that bad and the clutch plate was flat spotted in a couple of places. There was play in the DMF but it wasn't massive. Hardly perceptible with your hand. Start putting the amount of torque provided by the engine and it was a different story.

Hi Brian,

Depending on mileage I know T5s have a problem with the driveshaft at around 50-60k miles. There might be more answers in the T5 section though. You've stumbled into the T4 section fella. I:

Cheers Jonnie
Doh. I: Cheers for the heads up T:

#12 ·
Hi Guys.

You all seem to have a lot of knowledge towards this area, so I will post a question here and hope you can help me.

When I accelerate, I get a sideways wobble/vibration. It appears that the harder I accelerate the worse it can be.
This can happen at all different speeds. It's not a harsh vibration, and it's not all the time sort of thing. Just seems to be there under hard acceleration..

I don't think it's a wheel balance issue... could it be my DMF ?

Regards

Brian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.