Old 06-11-17, 07:16
Van Jedi

Default Re: Coolant Leak (offside on radiator?)

Thanks very much Alan,

You're right, PR-AC0 refers to short nose and AC1 is long nose. Just double checked on VW code list.

That means my van takes the smaller radiator (701121253K 720 x 388mm).

ECP only stocks EIS radiator for that size. Quick Google seach gave me this: Radiator Leak near bottom pipe?. The OP mentions he went with Nissens radiator instead of EIS as the reviews were rubbish for EIS. That doesn't give me confidence.

VWHeritage has Topran radiator for 97. Radiator > T4 1991-2003 (Part Code: 701121253K)

JustKampers has Klokkerholm for 97. Radiator VW T4 All Models (Excluding 1800 PD & 2000 AAC engines) 1991–2001 (JK Part Number: J13631 OEM Part Number: 701-121-253/K)

I may have to call TPS to ask how much the genuine radiator is...

But this is all assuming that radiator is the cause of leak. I left the van at a local garage just now for them to have an inspection.

I'm a bit stressed about this for some reason. Thanks everyone for helping out on this.

Happy motoring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-17, 08:41
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

That's so weird, my coolant light came on on Friday night after being parked facing down a hill. It was really low when I checked it but not found a leak yet. Hope you get yours sorted, fingers crossed it's just a split hose or something.
Old 06-11-17, 15:34
Van Jedi

Local garage confirmed that it's radiator leak. He's phoning around to see what he can get and will give me a final quote. Currently at 280 for coolant, new radiator and labour, but he thinks he can get it down. I was expecting a quote of around 300 so that's okay.

In the meantime, I've got the van back as his car park is full (and I only live down the road). I put the radiator in service position (wasn't that complicated) and this is the state of the radiator:

Offside bottom corner of the radiator:

Inside of the radiator (offside bottom corner is where the corrosion is seen), behind the plastic housing for the fans:

And I also confirmed that this radiator was genuine vw from original, based on the sticker and VW Audi engraving on the side (and of course, it's 701121253K).

The input and output hoses look fine and dry. The temp sensor looks fine and dry. Power steering pipe and hose are also looking in good health. Another thing I noticed was the metal coolant pipe is showing some corrosion beneath the reservoir...

I think we'll have to ask the garage to do this for us. I'm in a DIY fatigue phase at the moment (I'm not in the mood, nor have the time) and looking at some corroded screws, few rivets and potentially crewing up / damaging hoses, I prefer to get it done properly...

Brucelona, have you found a leak on yours?
Old 06-11-17, 16:30
More than a little van obsessed

T4 Post Icon Re: Coolant Leak (offside on radiator?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
Local garage confirmed that it's radiator leak. He's phoning around to see what he can get and will give me a final quote. Currently at 280 for coolant, new radiator and labour, but he thinks he can get it down. I was expecting a quote of around 300 so that's okay.

In the meantime, I've got the van back as his car park is full (and I only live down the road). I put the radiator in service position (wasn't that complicated) and this is the state of the radiator:

Offside bottom corner of the radiator:

Inside of the radiator (offside bottom corner is where the corrosion is seen), behind the plastic housing for the fans:

And I also confirmed that this radiator was genuine vw from original, based on the sticker and VW Audi engraving on the side (and of course, it's 701121253K).

The input and output hoses look fine and dry. The temp sensor looks fine and dry. Power steering pipe and hose are also looking in good health. Another thing I noticed was the metal coolant pipe is showing some corrosion beneath the reservoir...

I think we'll have to ask the garage to do this for us. I'm in a DIY fatigue phase at the moment (I'm not in the mood, nor have the time) and looking at some corroded screws, few rivets and potentially crewing up / damaging hoses, I prefer to get it done properly...

Brucelona, have you found a leak on yours?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-...sAAOSwM6NZuNWT ................... only 10% of the genuine price
Old 07-11-17, 07:31
Van Jedi

25 radiator... I saw that yesterday, it's crazy!

Even the side door plastic step costs more than that!
Old 09-11-17, 14:01
Van Jedi

Update:

So the local garage happily replaced the radiator for 260 all in today and they appreciated that I supplied G13 coolant (I had a bottle and half at home) and few spare new bolts just in case the bolts were rusted out (they only replaced one of the bolts). They are nice bunch, and I felt like we built a good rapport. Will use them again if something non-specific or unique to T4 goes wrong. Our other car (little 1.3L hatchback...) goes there for annual service + MOT and they've done the clutch without any complication.

I looked at the invoice and the radiator was priced at 128. Part No was ADV NS65273A. Quick Google search reveals that it's a Nissens radiator. So I'm happy with that, based on what I read online about Nissens.

The radiator is proper shiny and all the fins are straight! It turned out that the radiator bottom was so rusted out it was actually leaking from the nearside and dribbling across the bumper and down on the offside. Nearly 20yrs of service, I'm not surprised...

I will be doing a long journey tomorrow so lets see if there's any leak. I'll be carrying a bottle of G13 and de-ionised water for the journey!

Thanks everyone for the information.

Happy motoring!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in