VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Any suggestions on how to undo a stuck driveshaft hub bolt?

9K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  drmagpie 
#1 ·
So far we have tried 3/4" lorry rattle guns 1/2" drive rattle guns, breaker bars, all of which have broken knuckles and even a monster 3/4" drive 4ft torque wrench which snapped the 3/4 to 1/2 drive converter clean off. I really am scratching my head with this one, i have purchased a 3/4" 27mm socket to try on the torque wrench which will rule out the knuckles breaking but after this i'm at a loss :(

The silly thing is they weren't fitted that long ago and i torqued them myself to the correct amount, i know they were fitted correctly.

Any sugestions greatly appreciated before i have to replace the hub, carrier and outer CV joint.

#8 ·
Thats the one mate! I did try a blow torch on the bolt but it was a bit of a pony affair much like one of those high power lighters. I think i will have to get something a little more powerful. No worries about the scafold pole, tried a 5ft one and it broke the knuckle on the breaker bar really easilly :-(

I think heat has to be the answer combined with the 3/4 wrench and a scafold pole. Thanks for the suggestions T:T:T:

#9 ·
Was the bolt you used a pattern one with an inbuilt washer/flange on the back or a genuine with a free spinning washer on it? If it is a the former then it is the additional friction on the back of the 'washer' causing the problem. Does that make sense?

You need to get a very very good drill and drill through washer where you can get to it in as many places as you can. This should relieve some of the friction and allow you to undo it. The heat created from drilling it should also help too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.