Old 08-05-12, 13:14   #1
Gearshift Bushes - how to :)
d-9 d-9 is offline 08-05-12, 13:14

At the weekend I decided to rebush the gearshift rods to try and sort out the change and adjust it so I could get first. As theres been a few threads asking I figured I'd write up how to do them. I replaced the usual suspects, which are the bushes on the end of the T rod, which lifts the shaft on the top of the box, the bush it sits in, the bushes on the relay lever and the bushes on the bottom of the lever. In this picture, numbers 47, 46 and 53, 42 and 27. Some photos shamelessly stolen from the shortshift thread, because I didnt take enough.

Remove the shift rods from the car:
1. On top of the gearbox, undo the two vertical 10mm bolts (49) that hold the A shaped bracket(50) which locates one end of the T-linkage (38) onto the gearbox, remove this bracket.

2. On top of the gearbox, undo the two 13mm bolts (54) that hold the pivot bracket (52) onto the gearbox. (ratchet spanners will help this bit).

3. Under the van, undo the 13mm nut that holds the relay lever (39) onto the T-linkage, pull the relay lever off the bottom of the T-linkage.

4. Under the van, undo the 13mm bolt that holds the forward/back selector shaft (43) onto the bottom of the gear shift lever, drop the selector shaft down and rotate the lot so that the relay lever pops off the forward selector shaft and drop it off the car.

5. Under the van, undo the 13mm bolt that holds the T-linkage onto the bottom of the gear shaft, by means of a round clamp(35). Remove the bolt and the clamp. Push the linkage forward and the bottom of the shaft backwards, so the linkage pops out of the bottom of the shift lever, then withdraw the T-linkage from under the car.

Removing the old bushes - There appear to be a couple of variants, one uses a retaining pin to hold the smaller ball onto the T-linkage, mine didnt so thats what I describe here. For the one that uses a retaining pin, press it out first.
6. Cut the old balls off the T-linkage, then pry off using a spanner:

7. Cut the old bearing bush out of the pivot bracket, then push out. Mine just fell out when poked with a 1/2" extension, no hammer needed!

8. Press the balls onto the end of the T-linkage. I used a press which was easy, but if you dont have access to a press a large vice or possibly a lump hammer would do:

9. Press the new bearing bush back into the pivot bracket - make sure you press this in the correct way around!

10. Press the T-linkage into the bearing bush. I used a spanner to support the bracket rather than pressing against the bush, however this caused the bush to pop out slightly and need pushing back in from the other side, Im not sure if it would be better to press against the bottom of the bush:

11. Pop out the bushes on the relay lever, these just pop in and out. While you've got it off, consider doing a short-shift conversion, as described here: https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48108 Totally transforms the gearshift

12. Under the van, pop out the bushes on the bottom of the shift lever, these I just hoiked out with a pen-knife and pushed the new ones in.

13. Now put it all back together Once its all in place, have an assistant hold the lever in a sensible place while adjusting the forward backward and rotation via the clamp bolt at the bottom of the shift lever - If this is adjusted wrong you'll have to push the stick down to get first.

This has made a huge difference, its gone from sloppy and not knowing which gear I'm in, to nice and precise
d-9
Serial Poster
Views: 69099
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Gearshift Bushes - how to :)
08-05-12, 13:32 #2
Ems79
Formerly known as minifun

Wanna do mine! You make it sound so easy! lol

08-05-12, 17:52 #3
thevandidit
More than a little van obsessed
Official MemberVW Transporter

Nice write up fella I'll move it to the tech articles section if you don't mind?

08-05-12, 18:18 #4
d-9
Serial Poster

Yeah no worries

08-05-12, 19:53 #5
Abyss
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

I can confirm, that this is bob on

Exactly how I did mine, minus the pro tools, which most wont have at home, so my advice would be fresh boiling water, dangerous i know, but were mostly men here, pop the balls (not yours), and the plastic cup in the boiling water to soften, then tap on with a rubber mallet or lump hammer (careful not to damage them with a metal lump hammer)

I also used a smidge of grease to aid the slipping of the balls

I also found the short shift mod was too extreme, too short, so be careful on that one

08-05-12, 19:58 #6
webbe01
Lord of the T4s

My gear lever has a squeek when shifting. Its does find the gears ok though.

Do I need to change these bushes or is it a different one?

Many Thanks

Ed

08-05-12, 22:23 #7
ScouseSteve
Van Guru

Thanks D-9, good post.

ScouseSteve

09-05-12, 23:06 #8
odannyboy
Van Master Jedi

try some lubrication first Ed, i say.

10-05-12, 10:15 #9
d-9
Serial Poster

Try spraying a bit of white grease into the bottom of the lever (from underneath the van). You'll see the two planes it moves through, give them both a squirt.

05-07-12, 23:16 #10
Billy-Bob
Van Rookie

I have just replaced my gearbox bush tonight ( the one on top of the gearbox), made a simple tool for pressing the bush on the shaft. All installed in 20 mins. PM me and I will mail you the photos of it.

Tags
gear linkage, gear linkage overhaul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in