Old 24-10-10, 22:55
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

What size tyres would I want for the steels. I take it the off road tyres are even better than the snow tyres?
I like the nice chunky ones but what can I get on with it being low? Maybe have to wind it back up for the winter.

H4H van raffle tickets available from me. PM for details .T:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-10, 09:47
Van Jedi
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UK

So are we all agreed that snow tyres are better than chains? I'm looking to do a few trips from Cardiff to the Scottish highlands. I only want to be changing my tyres in Nov & April if possible.

From my understanding snow chains will be a poorer option in the UK as we don't get that much snow and often have patches of clear/bare road ... which will ruin or snap chains before you know it.
I like the 'winter tyres option' but I am unsure if they are that safe to drive about in normal dry conditions all winter or wear alot faster?
Old 25-10-10, 10:28
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARD PAUL View Post
What size tyres would I want for the steels. I take it the off road tyres are even better than the snow tyres?
I like the nice chunky ones but what can I get on with it being low? Maybe have to wind it back up for the winter.
No offroad wont be better than snow tyres, but imo better than standard summer/road tyres.
The compounds in snow/winter tyres are designed to work in under +5C, and all those little cuts in the tread add a lot of grip on ice, where as off road tyres are usually desinged to grip rocks etc and have chunky grips usually missing the small grooves that winters have... if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERU View Post
So are we all agreed that snow tyres are better than chains? I'm looking to do a few trips from Cardiff to the Scottish highlands. I only want to be changing my tyres in Nov & April if possible.

From my understanding snow chains will be a poorer option in the UK as we don't get that much snow and often have patches of clear/bare road ... which will ruin or snap chains before you know it.
I like the 'winter tyres option' but I am unsure if they are that safe to drive about in normal dry conditions all winter or wear alot faster?
Yes winter tyres are a far better starting point than chaining up ur standard tyres. the extra grip is unbelivable. Driving in normal dry conditions is ok, its just that you can wear out the benefits you need when it gets icy again. Like they're not really gonna wear much faster than a normal tyre, but the sharp grooves that add the grip in the snow will blunt/lose they're edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-10, 11:12
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jv1 View Post
Like they're not really gonna wear much faster than a normal tyre
.....as long as you change back to summer tyres when the weather warms up. The soft rubber compound on winter tyres will start to wear much quicker in temperatures above around 15C.
Old 25-10-10, 13:49
Van Jedi
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UK

Ah cool - cheers. Now where we all buying from then? I got some steelies ready for x2 (maybe x4) new winter tyres. I'll try to change them back to norm if I get the chance in winter too.
Old 25-10-10, 13:52
Van Master Jedi
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

I live in the Scottish Highlands and swap up for winter tyres from November till April. All 4 is the best option and as already said proper snow tyres are best. There are sites online that do part worns from europe at a good deal, get some soon as they are selling fast after last winter! They make a MASSIVE difference

Classic VW Campers for hire www.happyhighlandcampers.co.uk
VW T4/T5 Conversions & Pendle remaps
Old 25-10-10, 17:28
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARD PAUL View Post
Yea,
Thats great, I gave mine away when I lived in Preston.lol
Will havbe to look on the bay for some tyres.

Cheers
Got 2 wheels for you if you want....i'll pm you my number...
Old 25-10-10, 17:46
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummy View Post
I live in the Scottish Highlands and swap up for winter tyres from November till April. All 4 is the best option and as already said proper snow tyres are best. There are sites online that do part worns from europe at a good deal, get some soon as they are selling fast after last winter! They make a MASSIVE difference
is 4 a must you think? i go skiing a lot so im all ready thinking i need 4 anyway
Old 26-10-10, 00:00
Van Master Jedi
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
is 4 a must you think? i go skiing a lot so im all ready thinking i need 4 anyway
Maybe not an absolute must but much much better, helps avoid those embarassing pirouet moments

Classic VW Campers for hire www.happyhighlandcampers.co.uk
VW T4/T5 Conversions & Pendle remaps
Old 26-10-10, 09:14
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeo View Post

I always fit snow tyres in the winter but usually just at the front and have no problems at all. I've worked as a snowboard instructor on cairngorm for years and have never been stuck or had an uncontrolable slide with 2 snow tyres up front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in