Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 24-10-10, 22:55
BOARD PAUL's Avatar
BOARD PAUL BOARD PAUL is offline
Lord of the T4s
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mirfield
Posts: 1,450
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

What size tyres would I want for the steels. I take it the off road tyres are even better than the snow tyres?
I like the nice chunky ones but what can I get on with it being low? Maybe have to wind it back up for the winter.

H4H van raffle tickets available from me. PM for details .T:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 25-10-10, 09:47
ERU's Avatar
ERU ERU is offline
Van Jedi
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uganda or Cardiff
Posts: 450
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

So are we all agreed that snow tyres are better than chains? I'm looking to do a few trips from Cardiff to the Scottish highlands. I only want to be changing my tyres in Nov & April if possible.

From my understanding snow chains will be a poorer option in the UK as we don't get that much snow and often have patches of clear/bare road ... which will ruin or snap chains before you know it.
I like the 'winter tyres option' but I am unsure if they are that safe to drive about in normal dry conditions all winter or wear alot faster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 25-10-10, 10:28
Jv1's Avatar
Jv1 Jv1 is offline
Van Master Jedi
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 679
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARD PAUL View Post
What size tyres would I want for the steels. I take it the off road tyres are even better than the snow tyres?
I like the nice chunky ones but what can I get on with it being low? Maybe have to wind it back up for the winter.
No offroad wont be better than snow tyres, but imo better than standard summer/road tyres.
The compounds in snow/winter tyres are designed to work in under +5C, and all those little cuts in the tread add a lot of grip on ice, where as off road tyres are usually desinged to grip rocks etc and have chunky grips usually missing the small grooves that winters have... if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERU View Post
So are we all agreed that snow tyres are better than chains? I'm looking to do a few trips from Cardiff to the Scottish highlands. I only want to be changing my tyres in Nov & April if possible.

From my understanding snow chains will be a poorer option in the UK as we don't get that much snow and often have patches of clear/bare road ... which will ruin or snap chains before you know it.
I like the 'winter tyres option' but I am unsure if they are that safe to drive about in normal dry conditions all winter or wear alot faster?
Yes winter tyres are a far better starting point than chaining up ur standard tyres. the extra grip is unbelivable. Driving in normal dry conditions is ok, its just that you can wear out the benefits you need when it gets icy again. Like they're not really gonna wear much faster than a normal tyre, but the sharp grooves that add the grip in the snow will blunt/lose they're edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 25-10-10, 11:12
gills gills is offline
Van Master Jedi
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 648
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jv1 View Post
Like they're not really gonna wear much faster than a normal tyre
.....as long as you change back to summer tyres when the weather warms up. The soft rubber compound on winter tyres will start to wear much quicker in temperatures above around 15C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 25-10-10, 13:49
ERU's Avatar
ERU ERU is offline
Van Jedi
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uganda or Cardiff
Posts: 450
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

Ah cool - cheers. Now where we all buying from then? I got some steelies ready for x2 (maybe x4) new winter tyres. I'll try to change them back to norm if I get the chance in winter too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 25-10-10, 13:52
brummy's Avatar
brummy brummy is offline
Van Master Jedi
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Inverness Scotland
Posts: 904
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

I live in the Scottish Highlands and swap up for winter tyres from November till April. All 4 is the best option and as already said proper snow tyres are best. There are sites online that do part worns from europe at a good deal, get some soon as they are selling fast after last winter! They make a MASSIVE difference

Classic VW Campers for hire www.happyhighlandcampers.co.uk
VW T4/T5 Conversions & Pendle remaps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 25-10-10, 17:28
pot4's Avatar
pot4 pot4 is offline
Van Master Jedi
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Huddersfield, W.Yorkshire
Posts: 885
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARD PAUL View Post
Yea,
Thats great, I gave mine away when I lived in Preston.lol
Will havbe to look on the bay for some tyres.

Cheers
Got 2 wheels for you if you want....i'll pm you my number...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 25-10-10, 17:46
geeo geeo is offline
Van Master Jedi
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 689
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummy View Post
I live in the Scottish Highlands and swap up for winter tyres from November till April. All 4 is the best option and as already said proper snow tyres are best. There are sites online that do part worns from europe at a good deal, get some soon as they are selling fast after last winter! They make a MASSIVE difference
is 4 a must you think? i go skiing a lot so im all ready thinking i need 4 anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 26-10-10, 00:00
brummy's Avatar
brummy brummy is offline
Van Master Jedi
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Inverness Scotland
Posts: 904
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

Quote:
is 4 a must you think? i go skiing a lot so im all ready thinking i need 4 anyway
Maybe not an absolute must but much much better, helps avoid those embarassing pirouet moments

Classic VW Campers for hire www.happyhighlandcampers.co.uk
VW T4/T5 Conversions & Pendle remaps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 26-10-10, 09:14
cyberbully's Avatar
cyberbully cyberbully is offline
Van Jedi
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dunfermline
Posts: 425
Default Re: Winter wheels and snow tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeo View Post
is 4 a must you think? i go skiing a lot so im all ready thinking i need 4 anyway

I always fit snow tyres in the winter but usually just at the front and have no problems at all. I've worked as a snowboard instructor on cairngorm for years and have never been stuck or had an uncontrolable slide with 2 snow tyres up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13.