Old 03-06-10, 15:54
Van Rookie

Default What wheel size to fit T4

Hi, i've just bought a 1996/7 (p reg) LWB transporter 2.4 Diesel panel van and would like to put some alloys on it.

I'm not that mechanically minded for a start but when i comes to wheel sizing i'm even more baffled. Can someone tell me what dimensions i should be looking for when buying wheels for my T4?

p.s. this is my first post so hello!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-10, 16:16
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: What wheel size to fit T4

5112 stud pattern and most of us on here run 18" with 225/40/18 or 235/40/18s
Old 03-06-10, 16:21
Its about time I showed up
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Hello

To be on the safe side look for 5x112 pcd (straight fit) and offset between 45 and 35 and you shouldnt have any problems..
Basically most Audi, merc, and some vw alloys will fit but you need to make sure you check the pcd as some audi and vw are different... Also for merc alloys you may need to drill the bolt holes out to a larger size and you will need spigot rings... Another thing to remember is you may also need different bolts so they seat correctly Allot to think about but quite simple really.. If your unsure and find a set you like just post them up and someone will tell you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-10, 16:22
Van Man

first r u buying new or secondhand if new the shop will tell you if not google stud pattens for vw t4 and it will tell you the sizes you need look on ebay or gumtree for wheels that fit most of the german make car wheels will fit
Old 03-06-10, 21:59
Van Master Jedi

... as above and...
Consider the sort of ride you're after. The more air you have between the road and rim the more comfy the ride. I plumped for a 17 inch wheel with a 225/50 tyre. Smart enough for my needs, a plush ride, and was able to get a tyre load rated high enough to keep me happy.
Consider the ET. This defines where in the arch the wheel will sit. A lower ET will push the wheel out wider, a higher ET puts the wheel further inside the arch.
Consider your load ratings. Both the tyres and alloys will need to be up to the job.
Jeeze, there's a lot to it eh? Spend some time on the forum researching and it will pay off in the long run. Try some searches and browse the threads... Good luck bud...
Old 06-06-10, 23:34
Van Man

As another newbie looking for new wheels and tyres - can I check what load and speed rating is needed please.

I have a swb campervan 2003 T4 which carries up to 5 people, gear and the weight of a pop up roof and usual interior fittings.

I prefer soft rides over hard rides so was going to go for a 16" wheel ideally.
Old 04-06-19, 14:27
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Re: What wheel size to fit T4

just got my t4 back from an MOT my first 6 months with it the previous owner changed the wheels and fitted 4 Audi incorrect sized and now it has Advisories front wheels rubbing on track rod ends on full lock you can guess where this ids going 4 new rims and tyres will be needed.

Tags
alloy, dimensions, size, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in