Old 24-03-14, 21:45
Serial Poster

T4 Post Icon Re: Cleaning out the front wings

just looking at this a bit more
to the rear of the drainage holes there seems to be a gap (haven't had the wings off so difficult to see) where water can still get down into the wings
little wonder that there are so many with arch rust problems
no matter how much you seal the wheel side of the arch, water is causing the rust from the inside
thinking of pumping in filler/silicon at the ends of the scuttle to seal the gap, but access is difficult

seems a ludicrous design by vw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-14, 12:21
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: Cleaning out the front wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMBRIA LAD View Post
just looking at this a bit more
to the rear of the drainage holes there seems to be a gap (haven't had the wings off so difficult to see) where water can still get down into the wings
Yep, I forgot to add to this thread.
Last weekend I gave my van a wash (it's been a fair few months ) and so I though after weeks of dry weather the last thing I want is fresh water going down there..., so I sealed the holes with duct tape as a temporary stop.
I was surprised to see the run off water still draining away and then realised the seem is open. The good thing is it means I can permanently block up the intentional drain holes as the water drains just fine down the seem. Also the seem is slightly less likely to let leafs and other rubbish down there.
Once I've cleaned out the arches I'll put some sort of filter material over the whole seem area to ensure that rubbish stays out.
Old 26-03-14, 16:56
Lord of the T4s

While getting into the van today I noticed there is a gap at the bottom of the wing, for drainage and possibly an escape route for debris.
On the passenger side, at the back bottom edge of the wing. Where the panel break is on the wheel arc. I noticed some leafy type things sticking out towards the door, and it looks like if material is broken down enough it could make it's way out of there.

I'm wondering now if some targeted jet washing could mash up all the material in there and blast it out through the seams afterall?
Old 24-12-14, 17:54
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Re: Cleaning out the front wings

Well after spending the last 2 afternoons cleaning and polishing the van, decided to attempt to clean out the front wings(I know it was the wrong way around) removed the airbox and cleaned and cleaned(Ended up using a green twig (didn't want to scratch the paint and it was the only think I could get all the way though)), Then removed the side lights and front panel and finished off the right side and did the other side.. Finally I took the hose and washed between the gap of the front arches until it ran clean (you have to open the front doors to get the hose in) I could see all the way through just and looked pretty clean.. No rust could be seen, but removed at least 2L of leaves and compost. Decided for now to leave the foam "moss catcher" out.. (the airbox adapter thingy in the wing)

Not sure if I should replace it or just add some some mesh or both
Old 24-12-14, 20:11
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

followed a tip on here that later vans wings are flexible enough that once the upper and a pillar bolts are out, plus indicators off, you can get your arm in to clean out the compost.
found my foam air filter thing in a right state but when left out didnt look right so ive fiberglassed the inside, quick skim of filler and a coat of satin black paint. no more moss garden and looks oe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in