Old 12-09-16, 17:52
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Using a ipad as a tv

does anybody us a ipad as a tv in there van? i saw one at busfest just wondering how i would go about doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-16, 19:06
Van Guru

Default Re: Using a ipad as a tv

I use one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G3Q7NCS

We hook the unit up to a USB socket in the van and you can use the supplied "external" mag mount aerial on the roof or in the pop top if you have one. Once the unit is switched on you can watch TV on any phone or tablet anywhere in the vicinity of the van. You tune it via the app on your device, complete with program guide etc... You can save the "found" channels under a name/place so if you visit somewhere regularly you can switch between locations without needing to search for channels each time.

I prefer these to the cheaper "dongle" types that plug into your iPad for a number of reasons...
1) The dongles often mean you can't charge your device and watch tv
2) The dongles don't seem to have as good a receiver section, in side by side comparisons they never seem to get as many channels and picture quality is poorer.
3) The dongles often need an adaptor to work with newer iPads and one dongle cannot be used for multiple device types, not a problem if you know you'll always want to use the same iPad I guess.

the only criticism I have of the Eye TV unit is that the WiFi network it broadcasts cannot be changed (as far as I can tell !) and when your mates really like it and go out and buy their own and you end up camped near each other... it's a bloody nightmare trying to remember which WiFi network is yours ! I live in hope that this changes at some point so you can rename it
Old 12-09-16, 19:12
Van Pro

I'm looking into this myself. I've bought a 4g MiFi unit from Amazon (90 with 6gb data). Not sure how long this will last so will try it. I can then watch sky go, i player etc.

The sky go app cost me 5 for the top level, allows me to download things to the iPad, but I think you can get it for free if you have sky.

Don't know if there are any better ways, this is my plan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-09-16, 20:47
Van Guru

I have "toview" app but needs 3g or higher to use it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in