Old 21-06-18, 07:00
Van Expert

Default Re: How to prepare my T4 for the freezing winter of North Norway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
It's actually illegal to drive on summer tyres that time of year!
Most people "northish" use studded tyres....problem is they're not legal in other countries.
They are NOT slippery in the wet, just the opposite in fact. (WINTER tyres, not what UK used to call Mud and Snow...different beasts all together.)

I'm on the west coast (nr Aalesund) and -20 is not uncommon,...never had a problem with starting.
Cheers for the advice, ill definitely invest in some snow tyres for the trip then

Getting pretty excited about this adventure now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-18, 10:15
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

Proper winter tyres for the Nordic winters have a three-peak mountain snowflake symbol. Not a requirement but a recommendation. When I was in Germany last winter, people slowed down so much it was comical while I have the left lane to myself.
You don't need these tyres for such a short stay. Just take along a pair of chains.
The winter can be hard but I use only T-shirts, a thin cotton jacket and track shoes all year.

A kiss is just shopping upstairs for merchandise downstairs .
Old 21-06-18, 10:29
Serial Poster

Double posting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-18, 19:33
Serial Poster

If you have space in the car, there are tons of T4s at the scrapyards here and parts are cheap compared to Germany. You take out the parts yourself or have them do it for a fee.
We have a local VW meet here on the third week of September and the entrance fee is human, 5,00 and you get a meal and stickers included for that price.
Where did you mount the external fuel tank for your heater?

Last edited by Indian; 21-06-18 at 20:27.
Old 21-06-18, 22:36
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
If you have space in the car, there are tons of T4s at the scrapyards here and parts are cheap compared to Germany. You take out the parts yourself or have them do it for a fee.
We have a local VW meet here on the third week of September and the entrance fee is human, 5,00 and you get a meal and stickers included for that price.
Where did you mount the external fuel tank for your heater?
Thats awesome, if i was around that area in September i would definitely make an appearance! I might still keep an eye out for them scrapyards though!

I toyed with the idea of an underslung external diesel tank just for the heater, but i think it will be easier to tap straight into the main tank!

I'm trying to decide whether i can make it from Manchester UK to the Lofoten islands and back in 1 month? Think its a bit too much of a push? I would love to see them in winter! (google maps says 42 hours driving?)
Old 21-06-18, 23:26
Serial Poster

You can take the ferry from Fredrikshavn or Kiel to Oslo. That way you sleep well on board. There is even a ferry from haewich to the Hook of Holland.
You need to count on a week to do the trip to Lofoten safely.

Old 22-06-18, 23:18
Van Rookie

Would absolutely recommend a proper set of winter tires, especially if you are going north that late in the year. Winding up in proper winter weather with summer tires on is a pest, to say the least. Studless is of course the sensible option, as they can be driven through all of Europe. Also, might be that you could rent from a fellow T4-owner here in Norway (try www.vwbus.no/forum, google translate will have your back) or buy a set of winter wheels when you get here. I am sure there are plenty available on finn.no (norwegian classifieds site), or of course the scrappers (as winter tires are mandatory, most cars that are scrapped will also be turned in with two sets of wheels, and very often these tires are in decent condition, at least plenty good for a month of driving.

Btw, I live approx one hours driving north of Oslo, not to far off the E6, so if you need, I am sure we can arrange so that you can stop by here and change wheels if you go for that option. I have jack and tools, and I am sure I have room for your summer wheels for the duration, (no cost). Just remind me a few weeks before you set of!
Old 23-06-18, 08:48
Van Man

Great discussion you got here, i have read the thread, is from Norway myself. Support all of the advices to get winter tires - with studs, get local diesel, have good battery (bring a charger?). Maybe a bit off topic but, dont relay on standard camping gaz for cooking. Get the four season mix. Standard evaporates very slow in low temp condition. 4S have a higher mix of propane rather than butane, i think. (sell in standard sport gear shops Intersport/G-sport/xxl.no) Also make sure your webasto/eberspacher fires easily. Bring a good (-20 approved) sleepingbag (buy same plases as gass) or buy a norwegian douvet (duck feathers or syntetic) (cheap and expensive models found at jysk.no) Realize this sounds as a commercial for norwegian shops now, sorry about that. But dont relay on blankets/or quilted blankets, they are simply too cold. Have a nice trip.
Old 24-06-18, 20:36
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlgaute View Post
Great discussion you got here, i have read the thread, is from Norway myself. Support all of the advices to get winter tires - with studs, get local diesel, have good battery (bring a charger?). Maybe a bit off topic but, dont relay on standard camping gaz for cooking. Get the four season mix. Standard evaporates very slow in low temp condition. 4S have a higher mix of propane rather than butane, i think. (sell in standard sport gear shops Intersport/G-sport/xxl.no) Also make sure your webasto/eberspacher fires easily. Bring a good (-20 approved) sleepingbag (buy same plases as gass) or buy a norwegian douvet (duck feathers or syntetic) (cheap and expensive models found at jysk.no) Realize this sounds as a commercial for norwegian shops now, sorry about that. But dont relay on blankets/or quilted blankets, they are simply too cold. Have a nice trip.
Thank you so much, you summed up some great info there!

I completely agree with spending money in Norway, after all thats the stuff Norwegians use! I think ill bring a -20 sleeping bag from the UK, but once i arrive ill look for a duvet! (some of them duvets are so expensive!! )

As for the stove, ill be using a coleman petrol stove, so hopefully that will be fine in all conditions

Are there any recommendations for a good battery? My alternator runs at 90 amps?
Old 24-06-18, 20:38
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorflot View Post
Would absolutely recommend a proper set of winter tires, especially if you are going north that late in the year. Winding up in proper winter weather with summer tires on is a pest, to say the least. Studless is of course the sensible option, as they can be driven through all of Europe. Also, might be that you could rent from a fellow T4-owner here in Norway (try www.vwbus.no/forum, google translate will have your back) or buy a set of winter wheels when you get here. I am sure there are plenty available on finn.no (norwegian classifieds site), or of course the scrappers (as winter tires are mandatory, most cars that are scrapped will also be turned in with two sets of wheels, and very often these tires are in decent condition, at least plenty good for a month of driving.

Btw, I live approx one hours driving north of Oslo, not to far off the E6, so if you need, I am sure we can arrange so that you can stop by here and change wheels if you go for that option. I have jack and tools, and I am sure I have room for your summer wheels for the duration, (no cost). Just remind me a few weeks before you set of!
Thats very kind of you buddy! Ill give you a shout nearer the time! Ill of course buy you a drink for your trouble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in