Old 18-07-18, 05:52
More than a little van obsessed

T4 Post Icon Which internal thermal blinds?

OK as the title, for opinions and experiences.

Just to remember I have a Multivan (with climatronic). So sliding middle window offside; and smaller rear quarter internal dimensions, not to mention roof mounted seatbelts and their quarter panel guide clips.

I was using a genuine Silverscreens external on the front /cab ................ more of that later.

Now looking to cover all the other windows. Rightly or wrongly I dismissed the cheap options (I'm not a brand snob), so I thought no Summit or Maypole; and for the living area (middle and rear quarter windows), I opted for NRF. Now NRF are an Italian company, but their products are also marketed by others including Reimo.

I knew they would be 'a bit of a compromise', but they really are NOT suitable for my Multivan (read Caravelle too).

So first question has anyone found something that really is a good fit for a passenger version?

With that experience, I have not even considered the tailgate in all of this ................. unless you know otherwise?

Back to the Silverscreen, it is now deteriorating to the point where it is leaving a silver coating on my nice blue A pillars; so not long for the bin!

So second question, who is using windscreen and front window internal thermal mats; and are 100% happy with them. If yes what brand are they please?

I'm looking at fit, finish; quality of materials etc. Having initially gone for a better brand, of which the fit seems a compromise (almost a one size fits all job, and not even remotely suitable). I would value opinions from actual users, rather than just buy a set from each company until I am happy. The pension does not stretch to that sort of frivolity these days

If Mrs Scuffytoo was still alive she would have manufactured them for me, and I could be assured they would have been 'spot on'. Very sadly just not possible

If you got to the end, and can even be bothered; I would value other users opinions / experiences.

Cheers.

Scruff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-18, 08:44
Serial Poster

Default Re: Which internal thermal blinds?

these are curtains not blinds but....

https://baimex.de/products/curtains-...er=BMX002.0.25

full set for a caravelle with cab devider & windscreen curtains for 135Euro + post from Germany

when I ordered a set there was a bag containing 'spare' aluminium rails aswell as all the screws, drill bits & even 'posi-drive' type screwdriver bits (for use in drill-drivers )

the 'spare' rails are to adapt the drivers / rear curtains to suit the caravelle 'blower' type - something I've still not done

also, the front has a few options, one is a cab devider curtain & theres the option of a cab curtain similar to the california item that weaps around inside the cab (I have this & it works well

Rich.
Old 18-07-18, 09:10

T4 Post Icon Re: Which internal thermal blinds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid800 View Post
these are curtains not blinds but....

https://baimex.de/products/curtains-...er=BMX002.0.25

full set for a caravelle with cab devider & windscreen curtains for 135Euro + post from Germany

when I ordered a set there was a bag containing 'spare' aluminium rails aswell as all the screws, drill bits & even 'posi-drive' type screwdriver bits (for use in drill-drivers )

the 'spare' rails are to adapt the drivers / rear curtains to suit the caravelle 'blower' type - something I've still not done

also, the front has a few options, one is a cab devider curtain & theres the option of a cab curtain similar to the california item that weaps around inside the cab (I have this & it works well

Rich.
Hi Rich, as always it's good to have your input; on this and all other subjects

I have the factory curtains as do all MV's, but I am specifically after experiences of people using the internal thermal blinds / mats. As I said it will hopefully help avoid me buying a set of every one in the marketplace; just to make my own mind up which ones are the best to use

It's so easy on the Hymers as they have factory made items. Bit late in the day looking into this on the MV, considering I have had this one almost 20 years (never ever expected to). But will be using it in a different way for the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-18, 09:49
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffytoo View Post
I have the factory curtains as do all MV's,
MUST READ & THINK BEFORE POSTING

Rich.
Old 18-07-18, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid800 View Post
MUST READ & THINK BEFORE POSTING

Rich.
No worries ....... I always think if I had Baimex curtains, I would just need a nice lamp on the pop up table; and it would look like a bloody Pullman Carriage
Old 18-07-18, 12:12
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffytoo View Post
No worries ....... I always think if I had Baimex curtains, I would just need a nice lamp on the pop up table; and it would look like a bloody Pullman Carriage

Rich.
Old 18-07-18, 13:03
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
Official MemberVW Transporter

As a reply to question #2, I bought a set of both External Thermal Covers (windscreen + cab windows) and Internal Thermal Covers (Screen and cab windows as before) from these guys in Italy .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/camperbroshop

Mine were for the VW LT so I can't comment directly on how a T4 set would be, BUT ... I am very pleased with the quality of both the internal and external sets and wouldn't hesitate to check them out first to buy another set for another vehicle. Great fit on both and a good price. Even the bags they come in are great quality!

As an aside, the Baimex Curtains are very nice aren't they? Had them in my T5. I just used bubble-foil as thermal window screens on the side windows, kept in place by the pullup mesh screens you get on the Caravelles and Shuttles. Perfect
Old 18-07-18, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
As a reply to question #2, I bought a set of both External Thermal Covers (windscreen + cab windows) and Internal Thermal Covers (Screen and cab windows as before) from these guys in Italy .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/camperbroshop

Mine were for the VW LT so I can't comment directly on how a T4 set would be, BUT ... I am very pleased with the quality of both the internal and external sets and wouldn't hesitate to check them out first to buy another set for another vehicle. Great fit on both and a good price. Even the bags they come in are great quality!

As an aside, the Baimex Curtains are very nice aren't they? Had them in my T5. I just used bubble-foil as thermal window screens on the side windows, kept in place by the pullup mesh screens you get on the Caravelles and Shuttles. Perfect
Hi Hoovie, thanks as always for your considered input.

Yes what you have sounds like product manufactured by NRF in Italy (same as the living space one's I have purchased). I agree the quality of the product can't be faulted, but It looks like they are more of a one fits all for the T4 rear (probably fit T5, Transit, Vivaro and the like too).

You have given me some hope now that maybe the screen and front window set is much more 'tailored' to the individual vehicle model. We always tell everyone buy cheap buy twice, I am looking at the quality end of the market; and still worrying about buying twice

Funnily enough I have been looking into rolled foil layered insulation type materials (used in the home construction industries), with a view to making something myself. Good quality suckers are readily available, so maybe for the living space, and in the absence of Mrs Scruffytoo; that may become my chosen plan of attack.

Thanks once again for your kind response
Old 18-07-18, 17:42
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
Official MemberVW Transporter

Yup, the eBay listings in that shop show the same vehicle for lots of different product (probably a Ducato I would guess) but the screens are tailored for the vehicle listed.
The screens I bought were marked up for the Sprinter (00-06) and LT specifically - and they really do match the profile exactly - at least as far as the Cab Area goes.

Talkng Suckers, that is something that impressed me with the internal ones from them - built to last (I think and I hope!).
I noticed when finding the link that they have the "make it yourself" kits as well which are not cheap but probably reflect the materials to a fair respect. might be worth comparing their kits with the materials, grommets and suckers which you may be sourcing yourself?

off-topic a little maybe, but I have discounted using screens with Suckers for any windows rear of the cab area as concerned that the sucker pulling action will likely pull the tint-film away from the glass over time (and the better the sucker, the more likely and faster this will happen!).
Old 18-07-18, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post

off-topic a little maybe, but I have discounted using screens with Suckers for any windows rear of the cab area as concerned that the sucker pulling action will likely pull the tint-film away from the glass over time (and the better the sucker, the more likely and faster this will happen!).
Adams are the best, and they have a little release tag on the side (bit like a TomTom base for example), so you release all the pressure without any real 'pulling' action.

If I had foil on my windows, I still think like yourself; I would have certain concerns too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in