Old 08-08-18, 20:47
Van Guru

T4 Post Icon Desperate answer needed regarding gearbox oil

Right guys i'll make short and sweet.

I am having my 1.9td gearbox sorted in a months time due to a seal going behind the bell housing it had been taken of around 3 weeks ago and filled with fresh oil but has to come off again due to this problem occuring.
So while this is happing i am losing around a table spoon of oll a day. So i bought some oil so i can top it up as i noticed gears not smoothly changing and i am going away from tomorrow for a few days to a vw festival. Anyway i undone the filler cap and oil pours out so lost more around half a cup Anyway so what am saying is i am pretty sure the filler cap is facing the front of the engine on the 1.9td gearbox like the 2.5 and not the drain plug???....so how do i fill it up if oil is coming out as soon as i undo the bolt??? I don't really want to drain it all again and i am leaving tomorrow lunchtime so need to sort it....or will i be ok with oil i have in there???? Please anyone???

cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-18, 22:09
Serial Poster

Default Re: Desperate answer needed regarding gearbox oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerdurden1977 View Post
Right guys i'll make short and sweet.

I am having my 1.9td gearbox sorted in a months time due to a seal going behind the bell housing it had been taken of around 3 weeks ago and filled with fresh oil but has to come off again due to this problem occuring.
So while this is happing i am losing around a table spoon of oll a day. So i bought some oil so i can top it up as i noticed gears not smoothly changing and i am going away from tomorrow for a few days to a vw festival. Anyway i undone the filler cap and oil pours out so lost more around half a cup Anyway so what am saying is i am pretty sure the filler cap is facing the front of the engine on the 1.9td gearbox like the 2.5 and not the drain plug???....so how do i fill it up if oil is coming out as soon as i undo the bolt??? I don't really want to drain it all again and i am leaving tomorrow lunchtime so need to sort it....or will i be ok with oil i have in there???? Please anyone???

cheers

if oil pours out when the filler-plug is removed then it is Over-filled

iirc, the level is actually 5mm lower than the bottom of the threads (van on level ground)

theres an image of the vw 'dipstick' to make somewhere on this forum (try googling?)

as to the inpit-shaft oilseal leaking, beware of oil contaminating your clutch..............

Rich,
Old 09-08-18, 09:06
Van Guru

Yeah that's what I thought too then I thought I removed wrong plug.. Starting to think the garage overfilled box than the seal gone so do you think I should drain some out or leave it for now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-18, 09:15
More than a little van obsessed

T4 Post Icon Re: Desperate answer needed regarding gearbox oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerdurden1977 View Post
Yeah that's what I thought too then I thought I removed wrong plug.. Starting to think the garage overfilled box than the seal gone so do you think I should drain some out or leave it for now?
If it is actually over filled, get it to the correct level, as it's putting pressure on the seals
Old 09-08-18, 12:44
Van Guru

I assume it is overfilled as soon as I undo plug oil pours out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in