Old 26-07-15, 19:55
Van Guru

T4 Post Icon Aircon in a t4,is it possible to fit ?

I know to some it's not a problem and doesn't bother them but on not days the van gets real hot and with little en and wife all getting hot and me it's not ideal scenario !

Has anyone fitted a aircon unit that can run off electrics whilst being driven and stationary?

I've read threads about retro fit and it seems a massive job and big money,I'd be better off selling my van and buying again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-07-15, 20:14
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: Aircon in a t4,is it possible to fit ?

The problem is that electric air con needs a lot of power to work. About 1500 Watts for a small one-room air con unit. That's equivalent to about 125 amps from a 12-volt battery. Which just isn't feasible.

There are two other types of cooler though, neither of which use much power.

One is a box filled with ice (or with those blue ice-block things) and a fan blowing air over it. You'll find design ideas around the web - try Instructables.com An example popped up on here recently too. Of course, it only lasts as long as the ice stays frozen. Useful at a campsite if there is a freezer available for campers to use. But then you might as well just take a small domestic a/c unit with you and plug that in to the lekky hookup instead.

The other is an evaporative cooler, which can work for as long as it has a supply of water to evaporate. But it's not really suitable in an enclosed space.

I did enquire about retro-fit of a/c to my old T4... around 2000. So I sold my van and bought one with a/c. It was cheaper that way.
Old 27-07-15, 13:11
Lord of the T4s

T4 Post Icon Re: Aircon in a t4,is it possible to fit ?

Yes you can fit air con to the van. My Caravelle/Multivan was ordered new with factory fit Air con, which VW forgot to process...(Bless them!) So the dealer had the VW spec cab air con fitted here in Swindon. VW used an Italien supplier and it came with all the VW switches etc and works fine.

However you cannot with any auto Air con use it without the engine. Some Mercedes will let you, but the battery is dead within the hour. Vw does not allow it for obvious reasons.

If you want a mains, house type of kit, vented to the outside you are likely trying to go a step too far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in