Old 20-04-10, 19:36
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: T4 Conversion - MK4 Golf 1.9TDI 150BHP ARL Engine

i would think the issues are going to be

gearbox mounting - 1z or ahu straight fit
engine mounting - 1z or ahu redrill and tap
wiring loom - 1z or ahu plugs into the same fuseboard as in donor

all of above will be new ground on here with the mk4 lump. but if your getting it for peanuts then you could be the first. . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-04-10, 20:21
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbug View Post
i would think the issues are going to be

gearbox mounting - 1z or ahu straight fit
engine mounting - 1z or ahu redrill and tap
wiring loom - 1z or ahu plugs into the same fuseboard as in donor

all of above will be new ground on here with the mk4 lump. but if your getting it for peanuts then you could be the first. . . . . .
The scrap yard wanted 800 for the MK4, I would think that is well worth it. We managed to get it started and it seems to run fine. I'll have to look into it. (He wants 800 for the whole car... Well, what evers left of it anyways )
Old 20-04-10, 21:43
Meithered to death
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

PD engine sits upright in the golf4 and the T4 motor leans forward alot and the engine bay is not half as long.Oil fitler housing will foul the radiator and coolong fans,alloy sump and oil pickup pipe will need reworking,VNT turbo will be tight up against the firewall,thats if you do overcome the problems i already mentioned.ECU and instruments are all part of the immobiliser system and canbus' if all thats not enough to put you of then crack on and best of luck.
I spent a lot of time thinking about this conversion many years ago and decided that the golf3 TDI 1Z/AHU motor is a much easier conversion and is just as capable powerwise as the PD engine with the correct modifications and mapping.

VWConnections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-04-10, 01:22
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiet4's View Post
PD engine sits upright in the golf4 and the T4 motor leans forward alot and the engine bay is not half as long.Oil fitler housing will foul the radiator and coolong fans,alloy sump and oil pickup pipe will need reworking,VNT turbo will be tight up against the firewall,thats if you do overcome the problems i already mentioned.ECU and instruments are all part of the immobiliser system and canbus' if all thats not enough to put you of then crack on and best of luck.
I spent a lot of time thinking about this conversion many years ago and decided that the golf3 TDI 1Z/AHU motor is a much easier conversion and is just as capable powerwise as the PD engine with the correct modifications and mapping.
Hi, thanks for the informative reply. I take it its going to be hard as the conversion itself will be costly.

Question: When you said the "PD engine sits upright" does that mean the Non-PD engines for the MK4 are more suitable? As I mentioned erlier, I own the 110BHP Non-PD engine, which I remapped from the stock 110BHP & 235nm of Torque to 145BHP & 300nm of Torque.

Would this engine be a good candidate?
Old 21-04-16, 16:44
Van Rookie

Did you ever do the conversion to pd?
Old 21-04-16, 16:55
Serial Poster

There are a few of these around, its an involved conversion whichever way you do it, with custom engine mount, sump, pickup if you use the t4 gearbox, or custom gearbox mount, engine mounts, driveshafts if you use the golf gearbox, plus obviously wiring.

No nicely documented conversions using the T4 box, but there is one using the golf box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in