VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

How can I tell what load rating my wheels have?

19K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Craz 
#1 ·
I have a set of Audi A4 alloy wheels, the design of which, I love. They need load rated tyres, so I am considering keeping hold of them & saving my pennies for a set later in the year, however, noting that my early Caravelle, with a albeit basic camper interior, is a heavy machine, I want to be certain that the wheels are load rated sufficiently, before I invest any money into tyres & time & money poss refurbing them.

There are several stamped things on the wheels, but nothing that appears to make any reference to load rating - can anyone help please?? :*

#3 ·
Rough guide - find out the weight of an A4, divide by 4, there's your minimum load rating. If you're bothered about load rating, then you're going to be looking for something that works out about 750kg a corner. A lot of people here run car wheels - if you want to, it's your shout. There will be plenty of opinions offered. You can get van rated wheels, you could also look at wheels from heavier vehicles - merc Vito wheels fit, merc ML wheels fit, a lot of people run merc rims. Good luckT:

#4 ·
Some more info please

Hi!
If they are stock AUDI wheels, no LI will be stamped on them, despite what many may suggest
U will find a AUDI / VAG Part number. Please post that.
Alternative would be to post it here or even a picture of them ( U could send me a Pic if U like) & I am certain we will figure it out for U as long as they are original VAG wheels. Maybe even get U the relevant documentation.
U MAY also find a KBA number if they are descent after marked ones.
I recon it is good economy to check out what U have prior to considering a new purchase ;)

#5 ·
Re: Some more info please

Hi!
If they are stock AUDI wheels, no LI will be stamped on them, despite what many may suggest
Alternative would be to post it here or even a picture of them ( U could send me a Pic if U like) & I am certain we will figure it out for U as long as they are original VAG wheels. Maybe even get U the relevant documentation.
I recon it is good economy to check out what U have prior to considering a new purchase ;)
Brilliant, well, here's a photo.....
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=7927&pictureid=46983

Thanks.T:

#21 ·
Re: Some more info please

Hi!
Hi,
Would you mind checking these out for me? Would they be rated high enough for a T4 Karmann???
8P0 601 025A 16" ??
Cheers,
Craz T:

#8 ·
U may ;)
Those wheels are off a Audi 100 Quattro / S4
I had them on winters on my S4.
Can`t find the certain LI atm, but looking at C4 data, max axle load is abt 1160kg
Audi fitted the S4 with 625kg 16" rims in the same design. U can use that figure for comparison only!
I recon the P.no should end with Z7P in ETKA :)

#17 ·
Early A8

Hello Hawkes!

I have been searching high & low for U`r wheel R:
From what I gather U have a very rare wheel. I have limited ETKA right now & it seems that this wheel is no longer available. Theere is a pic of it, but that is all. The rim was an winter wheel option on very early A8. Based on the P.number etc I cannot fully verify if it also was available to the Audi V8. Chances are good though.
A8 D2 had axle loads up to 1300kg.
There is a thread on German T4 Forum reg this very same rim asking if it could be used on a T4. Nobody replied :*
I found another source with had them on a T4 with TüV approval running 225/60R16 rubber.

I would say U should cherish those (rare?) wheels T:
Have a nice WE

#18 ·
Very interesting, and glad to have given you a challenge! T:

From what I understand they were a winter option for an A8 but thats about the extent of my knowledge.
I've obviously fitted load rated tyres (215/60) and the garage that did the job said that they were really good quality and hardly needed any weights - a testament to German engineering again!

Anyway result is they are on my van and I really like them (see photo below), and thanks again for your response :D

#20 ·
Thanks buddy, they were an impulse but from fleabay as I really wanted some black alloys. T:
The van has been fitted with -50mm Medium>Heavy Load Lowering Springs from T4srus, wound down about the same at the front.
Standard caravelle interior but have a MV rear seat to go in. Basically no real weight in the van at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.