Old 12-07-13, 23:29
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Opinions on quote for brakes etc. please

I've just had a service done on my 2002 T4 2.5 TDI 888 by an independent VAG garage. They have quoted me for work they say is needed:

Front and rear discs and pads
Brake fluid change
Near side lower ball joint split

446.34 Is this within reasonable territory ?

They are also saying that the brake pad warning light loom is 'broken' (warning symbol comes on on dash) and that a new loom costs 226 but they can look at making up a loom for me (?). I know the sensors tend to go and people kind of live with it or 'bypass' them as long as they get their pads checked/changed as required.

What do you think ?
Advice/opinions gratefully received thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-13, 13:26
Van Pro

Default Re: Opinions on quote for brakes etc. please

do the pads and discs yourself for less than 100 , to be honest its maintenance its good to learn to do yourself (the more you do the more you learn ) I have cut the sensors on mine (pain in the back side and as you say you should check regularly anyway)

and if you bought a good pressure bleeder like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressure-B...item2a2ec3c222

get someone that knows what they're doing to guide you through it (it is the brakes after all ) you have saved yourself over 200 and will continue to save every year ...

I have the above bleeder and it is fantastic , I can flush and bleed the entire system in 20 minutes , 10 if its on a ramp
Old 13-07-13, 13:28
Van Pro

The ball joint with new bolts is 10 and a half hour job with minimum of tools ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-13, 16:38
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Re: Opinions on quote for brakes etc. please

Thanks for your reply(s) yourloveismydrug. Yep, I'm no mechanic but I have a feel for when my pants are being taken down and I thoroughly take your point about the benefits of learning to this kind of thing myself.
I have in fact found a guy (experienced/qualified) who will being doing the work for a much less inflated price and will be happy to go through things with me.

Cheers.
Old 14-07-13, 00:18
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent1 View Post
They are also saying that the brake pad warning light loom is 'broken' (warning symbol comes on on dash) and that a new loom costs 226 but they can look at making up a loom for me (?). I know the sensors tend to go and people kind of live with it or 'bypass' them as long as they get their pads checked/changed as required.
Blatant rip off. This is a really common problem. Only the pads on the front left and right rear are wired up, so you can visually look at these and see if you can spot the break. If you can then you can simply solder the break, or splice in a new small length of wire. If you can't find the break then the light/beep can be deactivated using a full copy of VCDS/Vagcom if you know anyone local to you who has it?
Old 14-07-13, 10:41
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Re: Opinions on quote for brakes etc. please

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaCiNg SnAkE View Post
Blatant rip off. This is a really common problem. Only the pads on the front left and right rear are wired up, so you can visually look at these and see if you can spot the break. If you can then you can simply solder the break, or splice in a new small length of wire. If you can't find the break then the light/beep can be deactivated using a full copy of VCDS/Vagcom if you know anyone local to you who has it?
Thanks , yeah I was aware of the sensor issue - does it need to be a full version of vagcom ?. I've downloaded VCDS lite, I know it's a bit limited but had the impression you could disable things like the brake pad warning etc. with it ...
Old 14-07-13, 14:18
Serial Poster

It's not a blatant rip off it is what a decent retail garage costs. Yes you can get a mate to do
it cheaper and get the parts cheaper from Euros etc which if that's what you want to do then go for it. If you want a proper garage to do it with a full parts and labour warranty within appropriate time scale and all the proper tools then that's what it costs.
Old 14-07-13, 18:32
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourloveismydrug View Post
The ball joint with new bolts is 10 and a half hour job with minimum of tools ......
10 not for one that lasts it doesnt
Old 14-07-13, 23:01
Van Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trism286 View Post
10 not for one that lasts it doesnt
I've fitted genuine a vw ball joint that was knackered in 12 months

My local motor factors do them for 10 + vat and They are spot on ..

depends on suppliers and manufacturer . I know a lot of ebay stuff is but expensive doesnt always mean good
Old 15-07-13, 06:57
Van Jedi
Regional Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-T5 View Post
It's not a blatant rip off it is what a decent retail garage costs. Yes you can get a mate to do
it cheaper and get the parts cheaper from Euros etc which if that's what you want to do then go for it. If you want a proper garage to do it with a full parts and labour warranty within appropriate time scale and all the proper tools then that's what it costs.
Their charges aren't based on using proper tools, appropriate time scales or adding in parts and labour warranties.It's based on the fact that the majority of its clientele wouldn't know a spanner from a screwdriver so they charge accordingly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in