VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Non Standard Tyre And Wheel Sizes

44K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Kajmann 
#1 ·
Non Standard Tyre And Wheel Sizes...

The following list is of non standard wheel and tyre sizes that some owners have found to work best on their T4’s.

Some have reported that bodywork modifications are required with some of the wider combinations (marked*) if the van is lowered - the standard ride height tending not to lead to clearance problems. They have been happy with the look of the end result, thus they are listed below for your consideration.

Please be aware that not all tyre brands offer the required load rating but each tyre size listed below includes brands for all pockets that exceed an Load Index of 96. However, over time some sizes may become obsolete - so if your Van or Caravelle enjoys only light duty use (i.e it is never likely to be fully loaded) then resorting to 95 or 94LI Extra Load MPV tyres may be your only option.

The Forum does not recommend this -at the time of writing tyres of the appropriate LI of 96 or above are widely available.

Crucially, all of the tyre sizes listed fall within the overall diameter limits (between 648mm / 25.5 inches and 687mm / 27 inches - with only one or two exceptions) so gearing and speedometer readings remain easily within accepted tolerances (i.e. within 10% inaccuracy) - the larger overall diameters give your van longer legs, aiding fuel economy and CO2 emissions.

Many of these tyres will be car type tyres as fitted to high performance saloons. In any case Reinforced (RF) or Extra Load (XL) tyres will be the preferable choice - the additional plies (layers) in their construction affords more stability under heavy cornering loads - but this "luxury" is not available in some sizes.

RF and XL tyres have 2, 3 or 4 additional layers over lesser single or twin ply car tyres - commercial tyres tend to have 6 or 8 structural layers.

This list is by no means definitive - as such it's for guidance only as different makes of tyre can be wider across the tread than others for any given size.

When choosing your tyres please ask your supplier if you can compare their range of different makes side by side - you'll notice the difference, yourself. If there are any clearance doubts, err towards the narrower tread pattern - if a wheel or tyre touches the body and chassis or a steering / suspension component it will count towards an MOT failure, simply because it is dangerous.

The diversity of suspension drops available adds to the complication - rule of thumb the lower the drop the less wheel and tyre choice there is.

Thanks are due to all those who have contributed to previous versions of this articles for all the feedback and input - it couldn't have happened without you..

Suspension drop compatible combinations

16" wheels (offsets 7J = ET42/44/45)
  • 215/55R16 97W XL (643mm)
17" wheels (offsets 7J = ET42/44/45)
  • 225/50R17 98 XL (657mm)
  • 235/45R17 97 XL (643mm)
18" wheels (offsets 8J = ET42/44/45)
  • 235/45R18 98 XL (669mm)
  • 245/40R18 97 XL (653mm)
Combinations incompatible with Suspension Drops (without bodywork modification)

17" wheels (offset 7.5J / 8J = ET45*)
  • 235/55R17 103XL (690mm*)
  • 255/50R17 101 (687mm*)
18" wheels (offset 8J / 8.5J = ET45*)
  • 245/45R18C 100 (678mm*) commercial tyre
  • 255/45R18 103 (687mm*)
19" wheels (offsets 7.5J = ET45*)
  • 245/40R19 98 XL (679mm*)
  • 255/35R19 96 XL (661mm*)
The Euro Look

The Euro Look traditionally sits in two camps - the extrrreeeeeemly wide small diameter rim with a relatively narrow tyre stretched over it; or an arch filling large diameter wide rim at the front with a wider rim on the back.

A quick scout around the web (www.projektzwo.de) reveals that the T4 tends to follow the latter school of thought.

The following available wheel sizes for the T4 (beyond those sizes we have already discussed) can be described as deep-dish wheels which will require wheel arch extensions (read bodykits) to compliment them, as they sit beyond the bodyline.

7.5/8Jx17 ET35
  • 235/55R17 103XL (690mm*)
8Jx18 ET35
8.5Jx18 ET40
To acheive that full-on M-Tech / AMG Look, the following wheels should only be fitted to the rear (in conjuction with arch extensions and extended sliding door runners).

9Jx16 ET30 (an obsolete listing from Zender for the T4a which is no longer available)

8.5Jx17 ET30
  • 235/45R17 97 XL (643mm)
  • 235/55R17 103XL (690mm)
8.5Jx18 ET30
  • 245/40R18 97 XL (653mm)
9.5Jx18 ET35
  • 285/35R18 97 or 101XL (656mm)
  • 275/40R18 99 or 103XL (677mm)
10Jx18 ET20
  • 285/35R18 97 or 101XL (656mm)
  • 275/40R18 99 or 103XL (677mm)
20" wheels and beyond
  • extensive modifications to the bodywork and suspension required for the safe and legal fitting of these wheels.
Insurance

It is worth being mindful of the implications regarding insurance. As long as a tyre has an adequate load rating, whether it be a car tyre or a commercial tyre, and, that the wheels are suitably rated for van use, then no problems should be encountered when making a claim, so long as the insurance company is aware of the modification.

Bear in mind, however, that commercial tyres will last longer than car tyres yet grip, handling and ride may not be as good...

See less See more
#2 ·
i am currently looking for a nice set of wheels for a 99 t4 standard set up no mods!!Really bad roads where i live and i intend to do lots of moto way work ! i am looking for the optimal tyre size and or tyres which will best lend themselves to A.motorways B.good overall stability C.give good grip and confidence whilst driving D.be able to handle a bike or two's weight safely at speed i.e m-ways .E.i dont want to have to worry about altering the speedo accuracy !!!just a simple way of making my van look a little better if a different size wheel can accommodate this easily whilst filling the arch space without extra work so be it but i would like there to be benefits i.e better fuel consumption /better handling cheers,i am sure this will seem easy stuff to some but i would rather be sure and get something safe than something just for looks but breaks !! p.s i would like the van to feel planted if you know what i mean

#5 ·
Read the info mate. Et45 are perfect for lowering with no issues. Et 35 and wider is when you start getting issue. Im speaking from experience back arch rubbige :eek:have since trimmed arches and M looking to raise the van a bit higher. Et45 is fine. Be aware that 225\50 is a very 'plump tyre' which is what made my rubbing issues worse. Good luck with it and mKe sure u add the pics to the audi or none audi rims thread when they on :ILU:

#7 ·
Alright. Don't know if these will fit.

Been offered some genuine A4 wheels They are the five spoke Ronal alloys which he says are RS6 S-line's with the following stamped on the inside 8.0J x18HZ ET43 and are running 235/40/18 tires. Itso fit a 1998 swb T4 which is standard suspension setup. If they do what should i offer him for them with good tires and only a few light scuffs to 2 of the rims?

thanks

MOOSe

#8 ·
I have 2001 T4 with sliding/folding bed that I want to respray and fit with alloys. No mods to bodywork. I live in Worcester. Please advise on wheel/tyres options to fit with no mods to body and any recommends on spray shop. Would like to spray traditional VW camper light blue/grey/greenish colour......best description I can think of!

Cheersd
SOB

#9 ·
Please HELP!!!!!!!

I've been to our local breakers for a set of wheels,
on the inside of the wheels they have the size and ET rating but how do i find out if they are off a car or a van/4x4.
There appears to be no other markings on them to show loadings.
I've been through 9 sets of wheels.
Does antone know how can i find out.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.