VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

What load rating should I have?

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ADI64GT 
#1 ·
I've got a 1998 2.5TDi with Audi alloys on. The load rating shows as something 91H. I get the feeling from research this is too low? What is the correct load rating, and can i get away with what I've got on currently as I can't afford new tyres for a while?

#4 ·
I'd be careful driving about on 91's. not enough for your van and if you get stopped it could be 3 points per corner!! plus your insurer will use it to wriggle out of paying if you have an accident!! maybe put the standards back on till you can get the correct rated tyres. T:T:

#5 ·
Hi, there are some posts recently about this subject, try the search button to find them T:

My understanding of the matter is this :

The tyre rating you need is as follows.
Depending on your data plate with the Gross Vehicle weight.
Mine has the GVW, train weight, front axle load and rear axle load, for someone to check, all they have to do to find the 'Legal' minimum rating, is, check the axle weights half it and add 50kg (VW state a mismatch of 100kg accross the axle) therefore if front axle weight is 1360kg then half that plus 50kg is 730kg

730kg equates to a load index of 97

so the 'legal' minimum is a load rating of 97 for that axle. (vw supply 102/104 rated tyres for a safety factor)

many people report running less with no issues.

How the authorities check I have no idea. The police and VOSA 'could' check the above at the roadside 'IF' they had good reason.

How your van is loaded will have an effect as to the 'real world risk', a lightly loaded or empty van will have very little real world risk, However it will Still be illegal and subject to the relevent penalties (3 points per offence, ie each tyre?)

hope this helps

Chris

#17 ·
Really I should have started my own thread titled ''Ive been a lucky boy'' because through a friend of my brother I got my 4 brand new michelin agilis 102/104 rated tyres for the pricely sum of......... nil, nothing, zero etc etc. its not what you know but who you know!! (and it was all legal, before anyone gets on that topic!!!) i.e. a man that hold lots of buying power with tyre dealers!!!! Rasp:Rasp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.