VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

What the best size of tyre for cost, ride, looks 17in

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jason k 
#1 ·
Just got myself some 17in Merc wheel and need some load rated tyre's for the T4.
Not sure what is best for cost, ride and looks in that order.
Is it only the load rating i have to worry about?
Or do they have to be van tyre's as well as the correct load rating?
Any help would be great.

#4 ·
225 55 r17 on et42 wheels..
ex AA has stiff torsion bars.
lowered with HD KW springs ~40mm no rub, i had 370mm wheel centre to wheel arch lip measureed at front vertically.
touched front bumpstops when towing due to piching motion.
took ~5-10mm off bumpstops and ride greatly improved as i had about 2cm of wheel travel in bump direction prior to contacting bump stops..
then one day sharp right hand bend with plenty of lock on and a large pothole and tyre tread rubbed front arch lip slightly.

have now added T4srus lowering sping plates under the orginal VW spring rubbers at the rear and rasied the front to match, front now ~ 375mm to arch lip and no longer catches wheel arch lip (on same corner after repeated attempts)..

im also running HD sachs shocks & rear ARB, i would expect if you have softer shocks, a lower rated torsion bar and no arb these tyres may rub as the only thing preventing contact would be the stiffness of the front bump stop.

if your axle weights are ok with a 98rated tyre you are better off with either a 50 profile tyre that will fit within the arches without rubbing. If your ex-aa you need >99rated and these not available in anything less than a 55 profile on a 17" rim.

the 55 profile absorb potholes great and increase gearing for better cruising though..

when i get to needing new tyres im looking at SVTech downrating axle weights on V5 such that i can run 50 profile with 98 rating..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.