VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Looking at a t4 next week any tips?

443 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  clunkey 
#1 ·
Hi guys am looking at s t4 next week it's a 2002 2.5 tdi with 130k owned by two mechanics so hopefully it should have been looked after, I just need a few tips on what I should be looking for.... As it will be my first t4

#2 ·
Hi Crispy & welcome to the forum.

Try doing a search for buying advice or buying a van what to look for:

try these to get you started.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v...hannel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=dvoJVNn1LpCEaKuQgKgO

but off the top of my head.... (hopefully others will add to the list)

mostly with the T4 of any age now its making sure the body work is clean, good paintwork (not too many stone chips as its a sure sign the van has been thrashed) and that the van looks like its been looked after, they all suffer from rust (abused vans more-so) so check sills, arches and windscreen pillars.

try and get someone with Vag com diagnostics to ensure there are no hidden faults or issues.

check for noisy vac pump (makes a rattle when idle but goes if you push the brakes) its generally not serious but is expensive to replace £450.

then there is of particular importance especially on the 2.5 is full documented history with proof that regular oil changes have taken place (should be max every 10k or there about)

the van should have had a fairly recent cam belt and waterpump change (should be at the very least two by now based on the age and miles) if not, you are looking at £350 - £600 to get this done so good tool for negotiation. don't take their word for it if there is no proof that it has been changed as for peace of mind i would want it done again. A failed cambelt can cost thousands/ new engine to put right.

hope that helps a little. T:

Not having a go at any mechanics but in my experience most of their vehicles are always needing something (doing it all week and cant be bothered with their own, its the same with builders houses, kitchen fitters kitchens, electricians wiring etc)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.