VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Lowering question??

959 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Bluebird Customs 
#1 ·
So guys, here is my T4

I have had it for a few months now doing various things that needed sorting.
The time has come now to look at the suspension. I am a complete novice when it comes to this, so am after some advice.
The ride is rediciously hard!! Any tiny little pot hole in the road and it shakes right through the van. It seems there is no give whatsoever in the suspension!
I do like the amount it's lowered, and would like to stay at this height. is there any way of telling how much it's been lowered? I know there are various coloured springs, and I think I have heard there are some real crappy ones out there on the market.

So what should I be looking at doing to improve the ride, raising it a bit, looking at the springs, or could it be the shocks that have had it, which are causing the harsh ride.

The wheels are 17inch with a decent 45 profile, so I think they are a good compromise??

Any recommendations on lowering kits, where I can keep the current height, but improve the ride???

See less See more
#3 ·
Here you go Nick, it's difficult to get under my van, with it being so low. If I'm honest this is the first time I've even looked at my suspension! But guessing this could be my problem could it?

Am I right in saying the front doesn't have springs? Because the front end feels just as harsh as the back. Anyway here is a pic of the spring on the rear drivers side

#4 ·
Don't look good. Lots of helpful advice on here and each to there own. It depends on what you will use the van for, how much of a load you will be carrying and what look you wish for. My ride was rubbish with coil bound springs, after lots of reading I went for Eibach springs and B4 shocks all round, which made a massive improvement. I have 18" wheels with 40 profile. I am now bringing these up to 45 profile, started with the rears a couple of weeks ago and will swap the fronts for 45's when they need changing in a few k miles. Others have fitted Sachs shocks and Vogtland springs, all seem to get a good write up. However, if you want to go really low then you will probably have to put up with a harsher ride and suggest you speak to an expert. Colese on here is always helpful. Best of luckT:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.