Old 02-08-15, 00:23
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon New to T4 after 8 years of T2....help!

Hey guys after finally admitting I cannot keep my bay and enjoy VW driving / camping as I want to I've bought my first T4 1998 2.5 TDI drove it home today now have glow plug light intermittent flashing ! Thought possibly something to do with back/ brake lights as van starts/ drives no probs no smoke. In fact lovely drive, in love with new van! Has anyone come accross this before? Also looking for decent garage for regular advice and maintainence in North West Lancashire . Any help gratefully received ! T2 currently up for grabs on eBay if anyone interested!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-15, 05:09
Van Man

Default Re: New to T4 after 8 years of T2....help!

Hi.

I had the very same issue, previous owner had the brake light switch replaced which didnt cure it, when i started looking into it i found a fuse blown (dont remember which number sorry, i always pull and check each fuse one by one on new to me 2nd hand vehicles anyway) that fuse was for the reversing lights and also cruise control ! a light went on in my head and checking i found that even if you dont have cruise fitted you should have a switch on the clutch pedal as well as the brake pedal. When i code read the van i got a code saying "brake light switch signal implausible" a bit missleading as what was happening was this, the reversing light switch (on top of gearbox) had a faulty connection which was blowing the fuse, so then van thinks cruise control is faulty and as clutch switch and brake switch are wired together it put the coil light on flashing and gave me a fault for the brake switch !
I hope i explained that ok ?
Check on the forum for a repair for the brake switch, it could still be the switch just in my case it wasnt, if that doesnt cure it check your reversing lights, check both switches clutch and brake are ok and check connections at reversing light switch on gearbox.
Maybe buy yourself a cheap code reader useful for putting you onto the right kind of area for faults.
Good luck.

Steve.
Old 02-08-15, 09:19
Van Guru

Default Re: New to T4 after 8 years of T2....help!

Hi whats the item number for the t2, shame you already got a t4 could done a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-15, 11:05
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Re: New to T4 after 8 years of T2....help!

Hi Steve

Thanks for all the info very useful. Going to have a thorough check of everything. Bizarrely the light has now not come on once since, except for usual second on sort up!
Old 03-08-15, 11:30
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Re: New to T4 after 8 years of T2....help!

Vinski item number for my bay is 301696719002 thanks

Tags
lancashire, north west

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in