Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-18, 17:44
u can in a van's Avatar
u can in a van u can in a van is offline
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Gosport
Posts: 2,073
T4 Post Icon Awning rail alignment

Hi all. I am going to mount an awning rail in the gutter/roof channel on my van - lwb T4 Caravelle. I have purchased the 2.8m channel to go with the lwb but I cannot find out what is the optimum alignment for it - front or back. Do I align the rear end of the channel close to the tailgate or do I align the front end close to the screen?

I would be grateful if someone can point out which is the best place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-08-18, 19:01
scruffytoo's Avatar
scruffytoo scruffytoo is offline
More than a little van obsessed
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 6,154
T4 Post Icon Re: Awning rail alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by u can in a van View Post
Hi all. I am going to mount an awning rail in the gutter/roof channel on my van - lwb T4 Caravelle. I have purchased the 2.8m channel to go with the lwb but I cannot find out what is the optimum alignment for it - front or back. Do I align the rear end of the channel close to the tailgate or do I align the front end close to the screen?

I would be grateful if someone can point out which is the best place
u can, why not align the front with the front edge of the sliding door, or somewhere near to that. Mine is only SWB, and I had a Fiamma mounted on roof bars; probably never in the same place twice

I guess you really just need to experiment, and see what floats your boat; not sure how a 2.8m rail sits on your roof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-08-18, 19:27
u can in a van's Avatar
u can in a van u can in a van is offline
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Gosport
Posts: 2,073
Default Re: Awning rail alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffytoo View Post
u can, why not align the front with the front edge of the sliding door, or somewhere near to that. Mine is only SWB, and I had a Fiamma mounted on roof bars; probably never in the same place twice

I guess you really just need to experiment, and see what floats your boat; not sure how a 2.8m rail sits on your roof
Thanks for that. It is actually a little shorter than I imagined. The trouble is that my awning is new and never put up, and I can't experiment as I am going to glue it down. Unless someone can advise me otherwise I think I will orientate it towards the back of the van as that seem to be more logical - but I could be wrong lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-08-18, 10:10
DonH DonH is offline
Van Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kent
Posts: 72
Default Re: Awning rail alignment

Not sure if these pixs will help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-08-18, 12:31
u can in a van's Avatar
u can in a van u can in a van is offline
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Gosport
Posts: 2,073
Default Re: Awning rail alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH View Post
Not sure if these pixs will help...

No help at all mate - you didn't post the pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-08-18, 09:33
DonH DonH is offline
Van Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kent
Posts: 72
Default Re: Awning rail alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by u can in a van View Post
No help at all mate - you didn't post the pics
funny but I can see 2 pictures of my bus!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-08-18, 09:34
DonH DonH is offline
Van Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kent
Posts: 72
Default Re: Awning rail alignment

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-08-18, 12:35
u can in a van's Avatar
u can in a van u can in a van is offline
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Gosport
Posts: 2,073
Default Re: Awning rail alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH View Post
funny but I can see 2 pictures of my bus!!
That's bizarre because I still can't! Confusing!

Can anyone else see pics in DonH's posting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-08-18, 12:49
Hoovie's Avatar
Hoovie Hoovie is offline
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
Official MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Scottish Borders
Posts: 7,901
Default Re: Awning rail alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by u can in a van View Post
That's bizarre because I still can't! Confusing!

Can anyone else see pics in DonH's posting?
No.


And to answer the main question ... I would fit to the rear to keep the cab door clear of the awning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-08-18, 13:00
u can in a van's Avatar
u can in a van u can in a van is offline
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Gosport
Posts: 2,073
Default Re: Awning rail alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
No.


And to answer the main question ... I would fit to the rear to keep the cab door clear of the awning.
Thanks for both of those comments. Rear orientated was my logical guess. We are off to Beach Dubbin in Portsmouth tomorrow so planned on checking out what others had done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58.