VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Starting Problem

882 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  EricThe Red 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Transporter T4 2.5 TDI and am experiencing an intermittent problem when starting.

Turning the key gets the usual response like the glow plug light coming on etc. but when I then turn the key further to start the engine often nothing happens. Sometimes I will have to turn the key to the start position several times before the starter motor does its thing and the engine fires up. Once started the van runs perfectly well.

My initial thought was a dodgy starter switch but is there anything else that I should be looking at before I start pulling the steering column to bits? For example is there a relay that I could swap out?

Eric

#4 · (Edited)
Ey Up Lad,

Most common problem (and I had it 2 months after buying the van) is the ignition switch.
It does more than just start the van.....it position 1 it connects various electrical functions, position 2 "should" disconnect some of those functions, and simply crank the engine.

On mine, headlights and sidelights in position 1.....glowplugs and radio also.
Next position, they ALL go off whilst the engine cranks (prevents spikes in the electrical system causing problems).
Once started, back in position 1, lights come back on, and radio.
YOU won't have the lights function, but that switch control a whole load of things.....
It's also CHEAP to change (but NOT ebay Chinese cheap...unless you want to do it again in 3 months!)

Or maybe do as posted above 1st...but in my experience, it's that damned switch.

Or, a common fault called Eric.... (Just quoting what I read...hehe)

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

In order to cover both possibilities I have ordered a new starter switch and put a rubber mallet in the van in case I need to give the solenoid a bash.

I assume that the solenoid is integral to the starter motor so if it is dodgy the only way to permanently fix the problem is to replace the starter motor? :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.