Old 24-09-17, 16:11
Van Man

T4 Post Icon In need of a new spare key

Can anyone recommend anywhere to get one as cheap as poss.

Gone and lot it somewhere. Still have a spare, but for some reason the Central locking doesn't work on it. Tried syncing with no joy. Immobiliser works though and van starts so all good. Just worried about losing this one now.

Any tips greatly appreciated

ta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-09-17, 16:34
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: In need of a new spare key

I'm after one of these as well been quoted silly money.

The surf key is pretty cheap but the fully functional key programmed just seems a total rip-off.
Old 24-09-17, 16:48
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNE View Post
I'm after one of these as well been quoted silly money.

The surf key is pretty cheap but the fully functional key programmed just seems a total rip-off.
what sort of money you been quoted?

Surf key is no good if you lose your master key though is it? Its all about the immobiliser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-09-17, 17:13
Van Jedi

Yep your right no master no engine start, it's all about the grain of rice (chip) that talks to the immobilizer.
Old 24-09-17, 17:47
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!

I don't know any names of the traders, but at the typical VW Show, you can expect to pay around 100 for a fully coded T5 Flip Key with Remote Central Locking control. I paid 110 for a Programmed and Cut Flip key plus a surf key
Maybe someone will remember a name, or try googling for the show names and see if there are a list of traders.

If the key is a simpler affair, like for the typical T4 (not sure if a T4s standard CL is coded or just works off the key turn?), then a high street shop like Timpsons may be able to help? For my LT I got a programmed Ignition Key plus a basic metal key for the doors (different locks) for 54 a few months ago.
Old 24-09-17, 18:38
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
I don't know any names of the traders, but at the typical VW Show, you can expect to pay around 100 for a fully coded T5 Flip Key with Remote Central Locking control. I paid 110 for a Programmed and Cut Flip key plus a surf key
Maybe someone will remember a name, or try googling for the show names and see if there are a list of traders.

If the key is a simpler affair, like for the typical T4 (not sure if a T4s standard CL is coded or just works off the key turn?), then a high street shop like Timpsons may be able to help? For my LT I got a programmed Ignition Key plus a basic metal key for the doors (different locks) for 54 a few months ago.
Never really done the show scene but your saying if I attend one of these with my van (of course) I should be able to find a trader that will supply me a fully coded flip key with remote central locking control for a third of what I've been quoted.

If so where and when is the next show?.
Old 24-09-17, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNE View Post
Never really done the show scene but your saying if I attend one of these with my van (of course) I should be able to find a trader that will supply me a fully coded flip key with remote central locking control for a third of what I've been quoted.

If so where and when is the next show?.
Well, that was my price at VW Festival at Harewood House last year. The guy cut the keys and came over to my van (I was at a stand just a couple of rows away, so easier then if parked away from the show admittedly) to code it to the system. I was well chuffed at the price and it was a perfect job (It became my main key for the next 12 months until I sold the T5 last month)

I just checked my email with the list of traders from the 2016 show and company was "volksworks" - http://www.volksworks.com/page/replacement-car-keys. I have seen other traders at other events.

Last edited by Hoovie; 24-09-17 at 19:05.
Old 24-09-17, 20:04
Van Jedi

Thanks hoovie, will give them a call tomorrow and report back.

Any other traders what to give a quote?.
Old 25-09-17, 16:09
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Well, that was my price at VW Festival at Harewood House last year. The guy cut the keys and came over to my van (I was at a stand just a couple of rows away, so easier then if parked away from the show admittedly) to code it to the system. I was well chuffed at the price and it was a perfect job (It became my main key for the next 12 months until I sold the T5 last month)

I just checked my email with the list of traders from the 2016 show and company was "volksworks" - http://www.volksworks.com/page/replacement-car-keys. I have seen other traders at other events.
Contacted Volks Works today and they've quoted 120 + vat for a fully functional two button key, so looks like I'll be having a trip to Leeds soon.
Old 25-09-17, 16:23

Good Stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in