Old 28-11-17, 12:46
Van Man

T4 Post Icon deisel emissions in London, replace clutch flywheel for new or 2nd hand.

T4b caravelle 2.5 tdi 102bhp had it for 10 years now but is currently undergoing a change from auto to manual (cali campers in New Milton) as it’s failed again for the 4th time, there’s 290K miles on the odometer. engine is still strong.
I was told that the T4 is going “classic” in 2018 which means no oem parts will be made and therefor will be very expensive to replace. is this true? what does it actually mean?
I have a choice between replacing the dual mass flywheel and clutch assembly and master clutch cylinder for a new one or 2nd hand, difference is £300 extra. Is it worth the difference?

I live in London, well outside the congestion zone charge area but inside the north circular (A406) and I’m led to understand that all diesels before 2016 will have to pay a “T-Charge” for driving anywhere in London after May 2018 which makes about 8 million diesel engine vehicles redundant. I find that hard to believe, but what alternatives are there besides moving out on London; other major cities will follow.
My usual mechanic told me to scrap the T4 and get one of those new Lexus 7 seater hybrids instead. I switched off when I heard that.
Best regards
Isaac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-11-17, 13:24
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: deisel emissions in London, replace clutch flywheel for new or 2nd hand.

Answers to some of your questions in here and here.
Old 28-11-17, 14:00
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: deisel emissions in London, replace clutch flywheel for new or 2nd hand.

i would have a new clutch due to the amount of labor costs involved if it fails.
Some of the older t4 parts are already only available as non oem but t4s where made up until 2003ish so cant see vw writing them of completely any time soon.
Not sure about the t charge but all us old diesel drivers will get shafted eventually either by ridiculous tax or zone charges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in