Old 22-07-19, 22:02
Van Rookie

Default Gear Stick Too Far Left

Hi all,

I'm quite new to this forum so forgive me if I drone on too much. I've been reading all the threads about the short shift mod and I'm going to look at that over the next few weeks, however the bigger issue for me is that my gear stick seems to be a long way over to the left (I have a rhd), so far that I have to lean over to get 1st and reverse. In 5th gear the stick is just about vertical. I'm a short a#@e which doesn't help but I'm sure it can't be right. I've seen pics on here of others that look much closer to the drivers side so is mine just how it is or is it wrong? And can I do anything to adjust it across?

Thanks in advance 😎
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-19, 22:13
Serial Poster

Default Re: Gear Stick Too Far Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browno1969 View Post
Hi all,

I'm quite new to this forum so forgive me if I drone on too much. I've been reading all the threads about the short shift mod and I'm going to look at that over the next few weeks, however the bigger issue for me is that my gear stick seems to be a long way over to the left (I have a rhd), so far that I have to lean over to get 1st and reverse. In 5th gear the stick is just about vertical. I'm a short a#@e which doesn't help but I'm sure it can't be right. I've seen pics on here of others that look much closer to the drivers side so is mine just how it is or is it wrong? And can I do anything to adjust it across?

Thanks in advance 😎
there is adjustability in the gearstick / gearshift BUT I'd guess your van's gearstick has been bent to that position for some reason by a previous owner

as to the adjustment, it's sorta a fine-line of correct OR not finding gears to the left or right of the 'gate'. (there is a vw special tool to set the stick's position but it's sorta doo-able without)

Rich.
Old 23-07-19, 22:55
Van Rookie

Thanks for the info Rich. I'll have a closer look when I get back off my hols.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-07-19, 21:04
Serial Poster

Default Re: Gear Stick Too Far Left

Mark your existing position accurately and work from there, getting shift patters right can be a real task, and adjust in small increments and check all gears including reverse, even actually driving if safe to do so. Marking original points if possible will let you get back to where you started if needs be.

Im thinking though if theres no actual faults or problems through the pattern but its way off centre, something odd is going on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in