Old 03-12-07, 08:32   #1
how to Lower using the KW Kit of shocks and springs
jane/rob&dennis jane/rob&dennis is offline 03-12-07, 08:32

Before

Sorry there are no progress pictures, it was eight o'clock at night and p:cing it down.

There are many good threads detailing how to replace the rear springs which I read and followed. The only difference is I changed the shock as well.

Following morning in a rare bit of sunshine it took this

Any one else considering using the KW kit; Dennis is no racing snake, having been converted to a camper van, and he now tips the scales at a tad over 200kg with both of us in it.

How to lower the front and replace the front shock will follow in a later post.
jane/rob&dennis
Lord of the T4s
Views: 35052
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

» Re: how to Lower using the KW Kit of shocks and springs
03-12-07, 09:42 #2
jane/rob&dennis
Lord of the T4s

And so to the front.
Again there has been much written about lowering the front but not much about replacing the shocks. One thread includes an exploded diagram which proved useful.

first thing I wound down the front using the suggested ratio 10mm of thread equals 25mm of lower.

here you can see the left wound down and the right still in it's original postion.

I then jacked up the front on to axle stands and removed the wheels. I placed a bottle jack under the wishbone to take the weight once the shock was removed.

Using two sockets I released the nut and bolt retaining the bottom of the shock

then used a drift to knock the bolt through the shock

To remove the top of the shock, the mount plate need to be removed first.

undo this bolt

and this one

and you get this.

into the garage for that third hand, having removed the old shock offer the new one up like this

I used a pair of adjustables and a spanner to tighten the mount.

Replace in the reverse order.
and it should look something like this

The Plan now is to get the tracking and camber sorted by GuppaP in Plymouth tomorrow and run it for the week before parking it somewhere flat to finally adjust the front. I think it's still slightly nose up and I'd rather have it nose down slightly.
Again I think it's worth mentioning that Dennis weighs over 2000kg so bear this in mind when considering which kit to go for.

Happy lowering

03-12-07, 15:17 #3
johntheswed
Van Guru

Nice thread.
Are you sure you want to get your camber and tracking done now before your final adjustment? Won't it get thrown off again if you wind the front down later?

03-12-07, 15:37 #4
jane/rob&dennis
Lord of the T4s

Good point, I'm only expecting it to change by about 5-10mm at the most but I might ask tomorrow before getting it done.

04-12-07, 11:42 #5
jane/rob&dennis
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali View Post
welcome to the kw club, nice work guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard View Post
Agreed top work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickdaddy View Post
Excellent walkthrough,Great pics nice job!
Thank you, I figure I've got so much help and advise from here that the least I can do is offer my limited knowledge. it's good to share.

As the saying goes "a picture paints a thousand words" and for those of us with reading "issues" are worth every pixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntheswed View Post
Nice thread.
Are you sure you want to get your camber and tracking done now before your final adjustment? Won't it get thrown off again if you wind the front down later?
You were quite right, but luckily I had got the front measurement dead on. Although at the rear there is a difference of 10mm with no obvious reason the technical chaps say this isn’t a difference to be concerned about.

So for £90 I got the camber, toe in and caster adjusted as well as confirmation that everything seems to be in the correct place.

Unsurprisingly I now NEED to drive the van to work tomorrow. 25 miles of twisty country lanes!
More to follow.

04-12-07, 20:21 #6
jane/rob&dennis
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Baxter View Post
'Cor blimey, I need to move down south, I only charge 1 hour to set the camber and tracking, and my labour rate isn't £90!!
You're always welcome down our way, whether you'll be understood is another matter!

GuppaP came recommended by the wheel supplier, another VW & T4 owner. I didn't take the van across but had several phone calls letting me know what was going on and that they were able to adjust caster (?) as well, which incured an extra cost! and when i got home this report had been produced.

I figure I'll save the money on getting extra mileage from the tyres.

04-12-07, 20:49 #7
Simon Baxter

very comprehensive.
Should be bob on after that, I notice that the rear left toe and camber aren't quite right, but to be fair you can't adjust the camber without dicking about and for the amount that it is out it won't give any trouble.
Job jobbed eh!

05-07-09, 19:57 #8
JohnDave
Van Master Jedi

Done mine last weekend, so thought I'd do some pics of the back in progress to compliment the pick of the front above.

First I discussed with Simon Baxter at Brickwerks exactly what my requirements were, and concluded that the KW kit was the job. Got onto the Brickwerks website and ordered a set, few days later a box like this turned up.

So, van started off like this.

Jacked it up and put it on an axle stand. Took the wheel off, then supported the suspension arm with the jack.

Undid 2 bolts, one at the top and one at the bottom of the shock and removed the shock.

Dropped the jack down a bit and the spring came loose. Rubber spacer also on top.

All the old parts look like this

New spring in with the rubber spacer on top

New shock bolted in

Wheel on and drop it back on the ground. Now looks like this

Now just waiting for it all to settle for a few weeks and it's off for tracking, camber etc

15-07-09, 11:27 #9
t4musclebus

Hi
I'm new to T4's pick mine up tomorrow.
New alloy Wheels in the kitchen and rear spring's waiting to go on.
Is the last picture and the first picture the wrong way round
Cheers
T4musclebus

17-07-09, 12:30 #10
JohnDave
Van Master Jedi

Hi,

No, the pictures are correct. I was going from being "far too low" to "sitting just right". Van was much lower that the first pic to start off with, but was looking a bit higher as I'd done the other 3 wheels already.

John

Tags
customising, lowering, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in