Old 01-12-15, 13:19
Van Jedi

Default Re: T4 Multivan advice for a complete newbie

Buying a T4 Multivan is a very expensive way to tackle your problems. These are old vehicles now but they go for top money. Effectively the only advantage it will give you over a car is a bed that won't be very comfy. And only two family members will be able to use it - the rest will be out in an awning.

If you just want one then go for it, but if you're trying to make a rational 'business case' you might need to think harder....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-15, 21:52
Van Expert

T4 Post Icon Re: T4 Multivan advice for a complete newbie

Hi I have just imported a multi van from Germany after giving up trying to find a good one in the UK . Its a 1999 with great spec climate ,cruise , alloys,night heater and original cool box,swivel seat and curtains for me its the best of both worlds and I find the bed OK to sleep on I use for commute and occasional camping I have added roof bars and a roof box to help with storage and their is plenty room under the back seat for clothes etc. Its my first van without full camping interior but we never really used to cook inside the van anyway
so not missing the kitchen block. If you don't mind Lhd there are loads for sale in Germany at decent prices mine has no rust sensible miles and full vw main dealer history compared to some of the converted vans I viewed in the uk it was great value even with import costs
Old 02-12-15, 06:38
More than a little van obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
Buying a T4 Multivan is a very expensive way to tackle your problems. These are old vehicles now but they go for top money. Effectively the only advantage it will give you over a car is a bed that won't be very comfy. And only two family members will be able to use it - the rest will be out in an awning.

If you just want one then go for it, but if you're trying to make a rational 'business case' you might need to think harder....
All T4's are 'old', so what are you saying then, don't bother buying a T4?

Am I on the wrong forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-15, 07:25
Van Master Jedi

[QUOTE=Peel;3618113] And only two family members will be able to use it ]

They are bigger than a 3/4 RR bed.They are tiny.

Hi I have just imported a multi van from Germany after giving up trying to find a good one in the UK

Did the same 2 1/2 year ago and dont regret it,Did the same as you fitted roof bars to fit our roof box for extra storage.They are such a versatile vehicle thats why they call them a Multivan I guess
Old 02-12-15, 07:34
Bercow fan club
Official MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffytoo View Post

Am I on the wrong forum
They're a bit rubbish are the old T4's, rust like you wouldn't believe, have loads of rattles, are expensive to maintain. and have electrical issues like you wouldn't believe.
They make no economic sense at all..

Shit driver.
Old 02-12-15, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan13 View Post
They're a bit rubbish are the old T4's, rust like you wouldn't believe, have loads of rattles, are expensive to maintain. and have electrical issues like you wouldn't believe.
They make no economic sense at all..
Nahh won't bother buying one then ......................... ooooooooooooh that recycled paper is not as soft as you would expect
Old 02-12-15, 11:08
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffytoo View Post

Am I on the wrong forum
Ha. Sorry if I sounded negative. I was trying to point out that Multivans are among the most expensive T4s despite not being fully-specced campers. The OP said he was fed up of tents but he'd still have to use an awning with a Multivan (unless he found one with a poptop).
Old 02-12-15, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
Ha. Sorry if I sounded negative. I was trying to point out that Multivans are among the most expensive T4s despite not being fully-specced campers. The OP said he was fed up of tents but he'd still have to use an awning with a Multivan (unless he found one with a poptop).
Don't worry we did not take it to heart. How many people can you sleep in a fully specced camper with a three quarter r&r bed. And now fast can you remove the interior to use it as a van?

As I suggested to the OP, I chose a Multivan, for the reasons I gave. He was asking owners for their opinions and for obvious shortcommings before deciding if that was the route to take, or not.

My Brother just (last Friday) imported from Germany a 2015 Hymer, no shortcomings there for sleeping four and having all the home comforts, the best part of 60 grand if anyone wants it ....................... just not too handy around the shops
Old 02-12-15, 13:41
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by byngga View Post
Budget is only really 10k ish which kind of limits my options.

Does anyone have any practical experience of Multivans? Is storage space an issue?
Also have two kids and and Multivan with pop top and we just spent holidays in Norway and because my T4 is petrol and I have LPG tank under the floor which means spare whelp inside. I have to carry FIAMMA bag for camping gear ( chairs, table, 5kg bottel gas, etc ) and it was OK.

I do not use a tent as I have pop top and for rainy days I have 3meters Fiamma awning which doesn't take any space inside

I going to put it for sale early spring but I'm afraid little bit over your budget ( went on the dark side and bought Sprinter Westfalia James Cook )

In garage:
VW T4 MULTIVAN T4 2002 2.5 petrol + LPG; Sprinter Westfalia James Cook 1998 2.9TD
Old 03-12-15, 14:23
Van Jedi

just found this one within inches(mm) of the op's budget

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...&pageNumber=1#

not mine, but looks nice, there are a couple more on there too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in