Old 29-05-13, 21:21
Van Rookie

T5 Post Icon Re: Factory Fitted Aux Heater

I have a 57 T5 window van with an auxillory heater which has pipes connecting into the rear heater but the fan in the auxillory heater comes on when I unlock the vehicle and won't go off until I take the van out to get it to running temp., this has just started to happen, it stayed on for over 4 hours until I drove home. Does anyone have any ideas and is it useing diesel while the fan is running. HELP!...Lanyon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-05-13, 13:21
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: Factory Fitted Aux Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyon View Post
I have a 57 T5 window van with an auxillory heater which has pipes connecting into the rear heater but the fan in the auxillory heater comes on when I unlock the vehicle and won't go off until I take the van out to get it to running temp., this has just started to happen, it stayed on for over 4 hours until I drove home. Does anyone have any ideas and is it useing diesel while the fan is running. HELP!...Lanyon
You would be better off posting your own thread, as this thread is about a different problem and also about a T4, not T5...hope this will help get your problem sorted

Grammar... the difference between 'knowing you're sh!t' and 'knowing your sh!t'
Old 30-11-13, 08:42
Van Man

Default Re: Factory Fitted Aux Heater

I have a 57 plate caravelle the EBERSPACHER heater is now intermitenly sticking on i have to disconnect the battery or will drain it flat and it does not seem to keep the coolant warm anyway quite anoying
Old 11-01-14, 14:49
Van Expert

T4 Post Icon Re: Factory Fitted Aux Heater

I had the factory upgrade fitted on my caravelle a year ago, cost about £300, had to be modified a bit as the kit comes from germany and is designed for LHD, works great, has small timer control on dash and can be programed to come on anytime up to an hour before you use van, as i work nights i set it to fire up 45mins before i leave work, come out to warm van with all windows defrosted and clear! as it works on engine coolant it means van starts easily as its full of hot water. can also be set to run constant if your parked up in van! and will switch off if battery volts drop below 12v, so it wont flaten battery.
Old 12-10-19, 14:49
Van Rookie

T5 Post Icon Re: Factory Fitted Aux Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyon View Post
I have a 57 T5 window van with an auxiliary heater which has pipes connecting into the rear heater but the fan in the auxiliary heater comes on when I unlock the vehicle and won't go off until I take the van out to get it to running temp., this has just started to happen, it stayed on for over 4 hours until I drove home. Does anyone have any ideas and is it using diesel while the fan is running. HELP!...Lanyon

This my problem on LWB High top ex Ambulance service passenger transport . 59 plate. No answer was shown. Any body else know how to stop this coming on when you don't want it? Have turned rear fan and temp to off and cold but still comes on.
Have to disconnect battery to stop it being flattened. It seems to still be factory fitted parts not a mod added latter.

Thanks Mark.
I am new here but cant see a T5 version of this 2012 message in T4 yet
Old 12-10-19, 16:16
Serial Poster

Best to disconnect the temperature sensor behind the bumper and connect a switch on the dashboard. That way you disable the automatic start of the heater and can let it run hot before you switch it off.
I removed mine and fitted a 5 Kw as a parking heater with remote.

A kiss is just shopping upstairs for merchandise downstairs .

Last edited by Indian; 13-10-19 at 19:14.
Old 13-10-19, 19:11
Van Rookie

Thanks for your help Indian. What am I looking for behind Bumper and which side do you think here in UK. Nearside ? same as heater under passenger seat(but near road not seat). Is this where the auto control unit is? It comes on even when it not cold . When I stop the van sometimes? Would be good to change faulty part if not too expensive? assume it could be a faulty wire connection , a sensor or the control unit. Can you point me to any info on where these are and what they look like? Mine is an 20085 plate 2.5 six speed and 130 T3.2 if that makes any difference. It was very slow to warm up in winter so wondering if this is part of the normal heat up process from the time the engine is started noting that I had battery disconnected before starting to save a flat battery.
Thanks for any help including anyone else that been there before.
Old 13-10-19, 19:18
Serial Poster

The sensor is behind the bumper on the drivers side in UK models. Just 2 wires connect the sensor. When the Eberspächer starts, its best to run it very hot before switching off. On automatic, it will never get a chance to get hot and soot builds up in the combustion chamber.
The control unit is at one end of the heater and very expensive.

A kiss is just shopping upstairs for merchandise downstairs .

Last edited by Indian; 13-10-19 at 19:20.
Old 14-10-19, 10:30
Full of Cr*p....

You'd probably be better asking in the T5 section.....T4s used a different system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in