VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

rear end movement

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mtbrowne 
#1 ·
hi all my latest prob is when i steer to right doing about 30 ish there is movement in the rear left area not sure how to describe it other than it feels like im going to lose the back end, i have drove it harder and faster but it still stays at this level , only had the van 8 months and not sure if its allways done it or not .. never noticed it when steering left, 1996 swb lowered rear by 50mm lowered front 20mm fitted units behind drivers seat tyres are fully inflated all mods done 4 months ago..was motd in july advisory some play in steering wheel any ideas? mike :confused:

#6 ·
hi all good shout about the shock absorbers (oil leaking near side) bought a cheap set from germany fitted wednesday and have now done 200 miles without any swaying , also i reused all the rubber bits as they didnt come with any , had a look at the washers above and below the springs they are a bit squashed are any of these bits worth replacing? mike

#7 ·
Fit a 26mm rear anti roll bar and it will feel even more planted and stop the front end from crashing onto the stops every corner you turn into hard. I have this and have upgraded to a 27mm front anti roll bar and it handles superbly with almost car like handling T:T:T:

#8 ·
update i have just drove 20mph round a roundabout and missed the junction i was meant to take ,,, when i steered left to take the junction the van stayed right then it sort of swayed from the backend from left to right,,, i pulled over took a deep breath and came home any ideas :*

#10 ·
Jack it up, support it well and and start heaving/levering pushing/pulling to see whats moving, other than suspension up/down ought to be solid. Might need second pair of eyes

#11 ·
I did find some play in the shocks I have cut the bolts shorter that connect the shock absorber to the arm (underneath ones) didn't realise that the new bolts where tight because they had run out of thread to go into , let you know if any difference

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.