VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Brake light switch wiring issue

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  brm1286 
#1 ·
I finally got around to run a diagnostic on my van with the help of a friend following the glow plug constant flashing. It came up with error to the brake light switch which I replaced......only to find the light flashing again and error still there.

The plug is fine as it works on my mate's T4 so the only issue I can think of is with the wiring. I decided to take a close look at it yesterday but couldn't see anything. My van is an ex AA so I can only describe the area behind the fuse box as a bird's nest. The only option I can think off would be a straight replacement of the brake switch loom. Can I buy this loom? Any other suggestions please? Cheers

#2 ·
Before you do any of that, check your earths, I had a fuel gauge that for love nor money would not give the correct reading, changed the sender, replaced wiring to the sender, swapped clocks to no avail, turned out it was a bad earth and the fuel gauge was the only thing that was effected, everything else worked fine !

There will most likely be an earth from the negative of your battery to the chassis and you should find another one on your gearbox casing, make sure they are both good..

My van is also an ex AA so the fusebox looks like a dogs dinner!

#4 ·
I had a similar issue, replaced the switch and the light wouldn't go away.... 2 days later along with the wiring diagrams I realised I didn't have a live going to the circuit...

Didn't have time to find out why, but the live connection to the back of the fuse board had given up. Moved the connector to the ftont of the board and all good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.