VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

2.5 TDi timing scattered / unstable timing - this isnt a "how do you time TDi" post!

47K views 191 replies 28 participants last post by  hobbyhorse 
#1 ·
2.5 TDi timing scattered / unstable timing - this isnt a "how do you time TDi" post!

Good afternoon,

I'm after some help from the TDi experts on here.
My van has been suffering with a scattered timing problem for a while now.
I asked about the issue on here a while back and we put it down to the fuel pump.

Well as it still drove fine and is still ok on fuel I ignored the problem for over 6 months.

Over the last week I have been fitting a replacement pump, just finished and it hasn't solved my problem.

So the problem
Is that the timing plot on the TDi timing graph on vagcom is not stable. The timing fluctuates enough to spread over the entire graph.
See video link below

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/ryanbob202/3d2cf26c.mp4
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/ryanbob202/7ab21b0e.mp4

I'm completely lost right now.
My only thought is that a sensor has failed or something....
How is the pump timing measured? Could it be something to do with the injector that's instrumented?
I originally thought it could be to do with the wobble on the camshaft injection pump sprocket - but I don't thin it is any more.

Cheers very much for any help
Ryan

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 2.5 TDi timing scattered / unstable timing - this isnt a "how do you time TDi" po

So checked and the resistance of the injector is around 115 and as such is ok I think.

The only fault code appearing is related to the coolant. Not other codes.

Cheers
Ryan

#3 ·
Re: 2.5 TDi timing scattered / unstable timing - this isnt a "how do you time TDi" po

So checked and the resistance of the injector is around 115 and as such is ok I think.

The only fault code appearing is related to the coolant. Not other codes.

Cheers
Ryan
I would replace it without a second thought bud, it sets the timing advance based on the engine temperature, its not just for the gauges T:T:

#5 ·

Well I should point out that these running problems, loads of smoke cold, lumpy though lower revs. Have o my been around post belt failure rebuild around 6 months ago. And I've had that. Coolant sensor problem since I got the van.
Have replaced the sensor once but it didnt cure the problem as I assume it's a broke. Wire somewhere but couldn't be fussed to find the problem!

Given that the van ran ok with the coolant sensor error previously it would suggest that this isnt the cause of the scatter. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Belts installed and tensioned correctly yes. You can see one of them in the vid.

Cheers for the replies!

I assume the sensor injector feed the pump timing to vagcom. As with the sensor injector disconnected it only plots a couple of points on the timing graph at around 38 for both of them.

#9 ·

Ayeup. Cheers for the replies.

Fuel temp sensor I hadn't noticed!
I didn't think it would be the crank sensor as its vertical scatter not horizontal...

I don't think it's the fuel Pump, seems like a unusual problem, and to have it on two separate pumps seems far too unlikely.

Waiting to be made a member over on TDi club.

The sensor injectors resistance seems ok from one of your previous threads I found Rake, but I wonder if it's working just erraticly.

Cheers again for the help gents, really want this fixed!!
Ryan

#11 · (Edited)

I would. Heck the injector resistance pin to pin and also pin to ground (injector body)
Let me know the readings both hot and cold.

That fuel temp is a clue. When these go they make the timing unstable. I lay odds that it's the temp sensor in the pump.

I would be very surprised if the injectors are the problem.

#12 ·

Cheers for the advice gents. Been out riding my bikes rather than crawling around under the van for once!!

So when I arrived in Shropshire today I took a picture of every page of vagcom!

I'm so convinced that this isn't fuel pump related! It's just too unlikely that two different pumps have this exact same, fairly unusual, problem.

As you can see the read outs on the measurings blocks the rule temp is more reasonable.

The hot/warm reading for the sensor injector was around 115 ohms.

Cheers again for the help, much appreciated
Ryan

#13 ·

My thoughts are that the engine needs to be above 85C, well it does for timing reading.
I wasn't able to download video so maybe you had it up to temp. for those readings.

#14 ·

Right I'm gonna sort out the coolant temp sensor commectioms this week.
Take it from there.
The engine was up to temp, either way it wouldn't effect my symptoms.

Can everyone else see the vid??

#15 · (Edited)

Your fuel temp is way off in the vag scope screen.

Choose to ignore if you like but this is exactly the symptoms of the fuel temp sensor in the pump fella.

MAF is off too.

Pot 4 injector not good either - deviation of 2.5 and the injector is duff.

Engine has to be at 90 to take readings.

Coolant temp seems ok.

#16 ·

Two threads is gonna get confusing!!

I'll start off by saying that the poor fella has covered over 320000 miles now so there's bound to be some tired parts!!

MAF sensor the same erratic timing is produced with it disconnected
Will disconnect fuel pumP sensor soon and see if that could be causing it.
Coolant temp seemed a little low to me, but then I assume diesel run cooler than my a-series used to.

Don't know if I said this or not but disconnecting the sensor injector stops the scattered erratic timin, though I assume this is expected as the reading from that injector is one of the things used tO plot points on the graph?

Cheers

#17 · (Edited)

The NMS tells the pump and ECU where the commencement of injection is so yes it is possible as its part of the chain.

Did you get the readings I suggested from it ?

Need to get that fuel temp on vagscope again. It did say 132 degrees....not F was it ?

Also known as the G81, this sensor has a direct effect on start of injection.
A bad sensor can make your timing unstable.

(this is not my hand !)

#18 ·

Cheers, been working On the bike tOnight, so not had anytime to check out.

Will try to find some time to get on it tomorrow. Hate taking the figgin belly pan off!!

#20 ·

ive got same issues
have found a problem broken wire in loom above rocker cover
very small black and white wire looked ok untill i pulled it lightly
but i think because it was broken it causes the temp sensors to brake
waiting for a delivery from gsf

#22 ·

ive got same issues
have found a problem broken wire in loom above rocker cover
very small black and white wire looked ok untill i pulled it lightly
but i think because it was broken it causes the temp sensors to brake
waiting for a delivery from gsf
Iiiiinnnteresting! Glad I'm not alone!
I think it could well be a broken wire as I think my running problems post engine rebuild (top end) after the cam belt failure. Makes sense that I'be broken a wire ragging the loom around during the work

Cheers for the reply

#26 ·

Why would you replace the loom? Just repair the wire of this is the cause of your problems.
I've not had time to investigate mine, and won't have til next week as the lass goes away for a month on Monday.

#27 ·

Not sure which wire.

The ecu is in front of the battery. The wiring loom running across the top of the engine block goes off to the instrument cluster (i think), so I assume the wire isn't in that bundle. Does anyone know what wire runs to the pump, its colour, and the route it takes?

#28 ·

i had issues with glowplug lights flashing/harsh idle. i went through the corrugated loom which runs from bulkhead across engine around header tank and then down towards starter.
i found 7 chafed wires where the corrugated plastic had rubbed through.
the only place this happened was where loom bends round under header bottle,nowhere else,as its quite a tight curve?
chopped bad pieces out one at a time,soldered in new,heatshrink coevered and wrapped in amalgamated tape(hopefully protected for life now)
the van runs better than it ever did,idles smoother and less harsh at lower speeds.
hope this helpsT:

#30 ·

I am having an issue with the timing on my ACV. It seems very sensitive to adjustment, the slightest tweak of the adjuster pulley sends it from too far retarded to off the chart advanced :eek:

No idea why yet (anyone got any clues?) but I can tell you that the fuel temp reading displayed by Vagcom in the timing graph is not shown in degrees C. No idea what units the numbers refer to, could be ohms:* Mine reads 130 at operating temp, the scale goes up to 210:eek: I think I'd fit a fuel cooler if my fuel was really getting that hot!

To check fuel temp you need Block 7 in the measuring blocks.

#31 ·

I am having an issue with the timing on my ACV. It seems very sensitive to adjustment, the slightest tweak of the adjuster pulley sends it from too far retarded to off the chart advanced
That is normal.Only move pulley a very small amount each time. That is why it takes time to adjust & why a lot of garages don't set it correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.