Old 07-02-14, 00:00
Van Guru

T4 Post Icon stiff steering also covers play in column

Hi all,

Finally I think I have sorted my 'tight steering' problem out.

I have updated this posta few times, if you read it before please re-read it as I made some errors, it should be correct now.

When I got the van in Jan 2013. it drove nice apart from the steering. I noticed the steering was tight and wouldn't self centre, I always had to correct it, bit like driving a beetle (old original bug) like an over tightened steering box. I couldn't understand the reason why it was happening and after hours of fiddling with it I decided to loosen the nut holding the steering wheel very slightly, it took a bit of pressure off the column and then I thread locked it in place just to make sure it wouldn't budge.

It sorted the issue but it then I had a slight bit of play in the column. It drove much nicer on the whole. I was happy to except this until I could get put right once I understood how.

Mot time and they failed it due to the play, no surprise there. So after 5 evenings of head scratching, I now know why its happening.

There seems at least two types of steering column linkages and the 2 types of column mounts, there might be more! if you have to replace yours consider my next point carefully.

My van is a 2000 2.5 tdi swb. the column fitted has a lower bearing in the lower part of the column mount as well as the upper bearing lock n barrel (in the area below the indicator/wiper stalks). The area where the steering lock locates is about 2in long, and does not have a white collar below the bearing. there should also be a metal collar, you won't see it until you remove the lock barrel bearing.
It's what I believe is causing the issues with stiff steering and play in the column, more on this part lower down.

The metal collar. https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.p...ctureid=135024

Here is the parts list from ETKA, it doesn't really clarify things, in fact I will go as far to say its confusing and inaccurate. the part numbers are %100 correct and that's it. its seems to be just a generic diagram listing all the parts from both columns!
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.p...ctureid=135066

The older version of the column '97 era' has no lower bearing, it has a rubber bush instead, the upper bearing is the same as the above, the area where the steering lock locates is 1in in length and it has 2 white 1in collars, it should also have the metal collar (exactly the same as above they are identical).

If you plan swap columns from old to new or vise versa they will fit, but you must have the complete lot and the black mount.

This is the mount, they look the same until you look at the lower bearing.
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.p...ctureid=135055

You can't mix and match because of the difference in the lower bearing setups. You need to swap the mounts over with their respective columns, there's only 2bolts upper and lower. the top bolt has to be cut in half due to it hitting the fusebox mount when you pull if half way out. What a stupid design.(I swapped mine as it was damaged at the top) it had to be done.

If you have play in your column, ask yourself did you take your steering wheel off at some point to fit a different steering wheel, its possible that this has caused the issue, check to see if the small collar is still locating inside the upper bearing, It sits in from the underside of the under bearing and you will only be able to see it once you removed the stalk controls, the upper washer and spring, you should just see it squashed between the shaft and the bearing, not below it!
If you can't see between the shaft and the bearing its dropped down and no amount of banging on the upper spring down will resolve it. might help but it won't fit the issue....

If your steering is tight, its most likely because of the same issue, the metal collar has dropped down out of the upper bearing and down resting against to the white collar if you have an older column or its sitting/resting on the top of the sleeve area with the steering lock locates if on the newer column. as its 4mm(ish) tall - Its taking up space and making everything tight and nasty hence why undoing to wheel relieves it slightly.

The way I fixed mine. which will fix both issues, the order has to be collar in bearing before the column is drawn through, the only way to achieve that is to strip the lot and start over.

These need to be removed first, the washer, spring and the barrel/lock and bearing unit, the metal collar.
Get it to this state if dealing with newer column, older style -with will be the same but with one of the 1 in white collars.
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.p...ctureid=135064

put the metal collar inside the bearing from the underside and pop it on the column.
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.p...ctureid=135024

This bit is tricky, this is where you have to pull the column up or force the lock barrel down the steering tube, making sure the metal collar stays put. Then you will then need to make some spacers and slip them onto the top of the column and by in doing up the steering wheel nut and increasing the spacers over and over. you will slowly pull down the lock/barrel bearing part until you can see its back in place and you will also feel that it doesn't want to go down any further, don't force it. Use the same process with the spring and washer.

this is what I used.
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.p...ctureid=135065

before the steering wheel goes back on, it should look like this, install the last 1in white collar before the steering wheel goes back on.
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.p...ctureid=135023

IMO- the top washer and spring is there to stop the whole lot dropping, not to pull up whole lot up. for the record, I purchased a new bolt for the barrel/lock new top washer and while collar, totalling the grand sum of 10 I didn't need any of it, nothing was faulty it just wasn't together properly.

Don't rush out thinking you need parts, washers and so on, check everything first.

any questions fire away.

Admin- you might want consider sticking this, it took pages and pages of searching to piece it together, it might help others.

Last edited by hillshy; 08-02-14 at 18:07.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-14, 21:20
Van Pro

Default Re: stiff steering also covers play in column

Hi mate,

This is exactly what I'm after! My steering has always been rubbish and in trying to fix it I've made it worse but I'm slowly coming to a solution.

I bought a replacement column from ebay as one of the universal joints has some play and didn't realise the difference in the housing / bearing set up. I'm hoping to get the later housing to fit the column I bought, do you know if it's a straight swap mounting wise?

Another thing I found confusing was the diagrams on vagcat. It looks as if the bottom washer / bearing is pushed in from above however this is physically impossible!!!

P.S. I found that a trolley jack and socket extension onto the bottom of the column works a treat to get it all tight before you fit the sping and washer.
Old 07-02-14, 22:20
Van Guru

Hi ya. I just pm you my number. jiz a call happy to discuss in detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-14, 19:37
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.w.riley View Post
Hi mate,
P.S. I found that a trolley jack and socket extension onto the bottom of the column works a treat to get it all tight before you fit the sping and washer.
The above comment to me aleady says the metal collar has become dislodged and dropped down below the bearing. you shouldn't have to hold it up. if the metal collar is in place it does that for you.
Old 22-09-14, 12:13
Van Guru

T4 Post Icon Re: stiff steering also covers play in column

Hi

I have changed the wheel on my VW T4 and bought the spline adapter then placed a socket on the top of it and knocked it on, little did i know that this causes the shim/ring thingy to drop out, now I have a floppy steering wheel, i have stripped the indicator & wiper stalks off undone the security bolt from the barrel but have come to a standstill from here, don't know how to get the barrel off and usure about the whole shim/ring set up.

Please could you give me some help through this, Please Please

Thanks

Astley
Old 01-10-14, 23:37
Van Guru

Dude feel free to pm me I can call you to guide u if needed. Regards Stu
Old 02-10-14, 14:41
Van Guru

T4 Post Icon Re: stiff steering also covers play in column

Thanks Stu
Old 02-10-14, 16:49
Van Guru

Arvo,

Happy to help but I suggest that you to take time to read the above post, look at the pics if not done already as it will make things easier over the phone.

by far the hardest things to sort out are getting the spring off it held in place by a washer which does not want to come off so easily unless you cut it off and buy a new one, which is not a bad idea as their only few quid from VW. This part will take up the most time and lastly the steering lock, getting that back down the column once the colar is inserted which makes it harder. I used spacers. whatever you do leave the hammer alone.

call if you need owt..

regards
Stu
Old 12-03-15, 08:44
Van Expert

Great info supplied on this thread pal just about to do mine
Old 08-04-15, 02:15
Van Guru

I think my rack in now faulty. Tight spots in the steering have started to appear. Bugger!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in