Old 10-08-19, 16:23
Van Expert

T4 Post Icon T4 rear bumper support, aftermarket?

Hi,

Iv been pottering and repairing small bits of rust in the arches. Found a hole in the front nearside cross-member, which will need replacing. However, nothing as bad as the rotted rear bumper support (AKA Rear cross-member on some posts).

Mine has crumbled, I took it off to view with the hopeful expectation of a bit of de-rusting and a bit of paint, but no chance. So there are several posts on this, mostly of people looking for a replacement. The stock part appears to be code 701807303 and available from brickwerks in the UK, also perhaps VW too.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t4-part...4-rear-96.html

My problem is this is not the part on my van, mine is fitted with a Towbar so the bumper support bar doesn't have the protruding arms for attachment to the chassis, just four bolt holes to attach to the tow bar frame.

I actually have nothing to tow at present, and certainly no need for the rotating tow hitch with three different hooks on it. It just seems good for removing your shins. Having said that, the wife also does not want a tow bar hanging around the flat and I I have aspirations of using one day.

So I wonder, does the bumper support bar for use with tow bars also come from VW? I cannot find one searching online, or is it aftermarket and something that may not be available anymore i.e. sold by the tow hitch manufacturers.

Anybody have any thoughts? Cheers, in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-08-19, 13:33
Van Pro
I Support MacmillanHelp For Heroes

T4 Post Icon Re: T4 rear bumper support, aftermarket?

Hi,
Scuse jumping on your post but mine has turned to brown fairy dust as well and the’re out of stock at Brickwerks.
Any one know where they can be picked up, fronts seem ok but no rears anywhere.
Thanks.
Old 24-08-19, 14:07
Serial Poster

Default Re: T4 rear bumper support, aftermarket?

try vw but I think that towbar setup is westfailure so

have the same towbar / bumper setup on my '95, when I got it (towbar setup secondhand) the bumper re-inforcement was damaged on one side so I removed it & just mounted the plastic bumper to the towbar with the 4 bolting positions

the bumper is a little 'floppy' thogh

been fine for probably 7 years on my van though

Rich. (Bodger*)

*Bodger = Adapt & Overcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-09-19, 20:47
Van Expert

Your rear bumper iron doesnt look too bad, I also just swept mine off the floor when i removed the bumper. You could try and salvage it or at least use it as a template to fabricate a new one. I contacted brickwerks and their supplier is not making them any more. If anyone has a half salvageable one I might be interested.
Old 23-09-19, 10:57
Van Expert

In the end I ordered a new tow bar from brink (rameder.se) which came with the replacement panel I required. The panel was in fact stamped with a VW manufacturers logo but is not the factory fitted one. This bolts on to the tow bar frame and was in fact the exact same panel that had rotted through form the previous brink installation.

For my purposes it was easier to directly swap the whole system even though I do not need the tow bar, its just if you 'change' the vehicle in Sweden I understand I have to get it inspected again...

I initially asked for a quote just for the bumper support panel, which was around €100. The complete tow bar set delivered was €130 and now i have shiny new bolts and i took the opportunity to install reverse sensors whilst i was at it.
Old 23-09-19, 11:00
Van Expert

Can you guess which one was new?
Old 23-09-19, 17:56
Full of Cr*p....
Official MemberVW Transporter

"For my purposes it was easier to directly swap the whole system even though I do not need the tow bar, its just if you 'change' the vehicle in Sweden I understand I have to get it inspected again..."

Unless Sweden is different to Norway, fitting a "tilhanger" does not need inspection....at least mine didn't.
Suspension, brakes, wheels, tyres do....but I never had a question about the tow bar I fitted.
Old 24-09-19, 12:18
Van Expert

T4 Post Icon Re: T4 rear bumper support, aftermarket?

Ah, I was acting after advice from Swedish colleagues, but having looked it up, you are right, the rules changed at some point:-

“The Swedish Transport Agency is easing the regulations for registration inspection of towbars. […] The new rules stipulate that a type-approved private car or light truck, that has a type-approved coupling device retrofitted, no longer needs to undergo a registration inspection.” (Swedish Transport Agency)

Although in my case, I could not get hold of an original bumper support panel for less money so this was the easiest route. Iv been thinking about a boat so maybe I will have use it for it one day!

The bull bar on mine is also in a sorry state of affairs through rust holes so I am going to remove that next and swap the lamps for an LED bar. Good to know the inspection criteria have been relaxed at least!
Old 01-10-19, 13:56
Van Pro
Official MemberVW Transporter

I had the same situation.

What you have is the outer panel of the bumper support beam (which was originally spot-welded to the beam) which has been separated from the support beam and attached to your towbar.
This is because the outer panel features the holes/recesses to which your bumper foams mount.
Old 23-10-19, 21:11
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence91 View Post
In the end I ordered a new tow bar from brink (rameder.se) which came with the replacement panel I required. The panel was in fact stamped with a VW manufacturers logo but is not the factory fitted one. This bolts on to the tow bar frame and was in fact the exact same panel that had rotted through form the previous brink installation.

For my purposes it was easier to directly swap the whole system even though I do not need the tow bar, its just if you 'change' the vehicle in Sweden I understand I have to get it inspected again...

I initially asked for a quote just for the bumper support panel, which was around €100. The complete tow bar set delivered was €130 and now i have shiny new bolts and i took the opportunity to install reverse sensors whilst i was at it.
This is interesting, that panel is more than likely what i have (had). it was bolted to the towbar also via two small angle iron brackets.
Would you have a part no by any chance? No problem if you dont. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in