Old 14-10-19, 11:17
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Lowered or not - how to tell

Hi,

I'm looking to drop a set of original steels onto my van (MY2000) shod in some Falken WildPeak 215/75/R15 tyres as the roads I'll be using aren't in very good condition. I know these will fit under the arches as long as my van hasn't been lowered.

Can anyone tell by looking at my van if it's been lowered?

Currently sat on 18 inch rims with 225/40/r18.

I've done some quick calcs and the difference in height between the wheels and tyres is around 66mm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-19, 13:10
Full of Cr*p....
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Lowered or not - how to tell

That doesn't look lowered to me...I can just get my hand between tyre and arches with a 40mm lowering.
You'll get a LOT better ride when NOT on 18" wheels.

Go to one of the tyre calculators on Google....66mm seems a BIG difference to what they will be in reality.

My winter 15" with 195/70-15s (studded) are within 4mm difference with my 245/45-17" summer ones....less than 5% speedo error.

Just check that 215s will "legally/safely" fit on original steels.....
Old 14-10-19, 13:18
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
That doesn't look lowered to me...I can just get my hand between tyre and arches with a 40mm lowering.
You'll get a LOT better ride when NOT on 18" wheels.

Go to one of the tyre calculators on Google....66mm seems a BIG difference to what they will be in reality.

My winter 15" with 195/70-15s (studded) are within 4mm difference with my 245/45-17" summer ones....less than 5% speedo error.

Just check that 215s will "legally/safely" fit on original steels.....
Great and thanks for the info. The 18s are an awful ride.

Have you got any pics of what your winter wheels look like on the van as I'm prepared to go smaller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-19, 14:48
Full of Cr*p....

Sorry, no pics of the winter wheels, but they are std VW/Borbet style.....silver with black tyres

PhotoPhuckit has killed a load of shared pics....but if you PM me an email addy I can send pics of the 17s fitted, WITH the van loaded with about a tonne in the back!

The 17s look great, ride quality is good.....and with the 15" winter wheels fitted, the arches are filled to the same amount.
(Just noisy, due to the 120 metal studs inserted into the rubber of each tyre!)

Only about a couple of weeks now before LEGALLY I have to fit the winter wheels in Norway....so maybe I can get a pic then.

I hate that job....
Wife's car is a Smart 450...3 studs, and you can literally pick the front up if the bolts are too tight whilst undoing them!.
The VAN......heavy wheels and 5 bolts!!! (Luckily I have a Polish lodger in my basement....it's HIS job )

15 or 16" are original fitment to T4s......but with a Caravelle/Multivan, they also changed the inner wing panels to clear them?!!?

Last edited by Or_GazM; 14-10-19 at 14:51.
Old 14-10-19, 14:55
Van Rookie

Default Re: Lowered or not - how to tell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
Sorry, no pics of the winter wheels, but they are std VW/Borbet style.....silver with black tyres

PhotoPhuckit has killed a load of shared pics....but if you PM me an email addy I can send pics of the 17s fitted, WITH the van loaded with about a tonne in the back!

The 17s look great, ride quality is good.....and with the 15" winter wheels fitted, the arches are filled to the same amount.
(Just noisy, due to the 120 metal studs inserted into the rubber of each tyre!)

Only about a couple of weeks now before LEGALLY I have to fit the winter wheels in Norway....so maybe I can get a pic then.

I hate that job....
Wife's car is a Smart 450...3 studs, and you can literally pick the front up if the bolts are too tight whilst undoing them!.
The VAN......heavy wheels and 5 bolts!!! (Luckily I have a Polish lodger in my basement....it's HIS job )

15 or 16" are original fitment to T4s......but with a Caravelle/Multivan, they also changed the inner wing panels to clear them?!!?
Thanks for the info, gratefully received. In England, we only need 2 cms of snow and everything grinds to a stop :-)
Old 14-10-19, 15:17
Full of Cr*p....

In Norway, we only need 10cm, and my wife can't drive her Smart Roadster....as it only had 8cm ground clearance at the front!!!
Even my van becomes a "snow-plough" getting out of our drive....a foot or more overnight is not uncommon!

Over 20 years ago, I bought my 1st set of "winter tyres" when I lived in a small village just outside Huddersfield....17 houses total...snow plows?!?!?!...Only 2 busses a day went through it.

Anyway.....since then, ALWAYS bought winter tyres (for winter )

I was lucky...1st car was a Cavalier, 2nd a Carlton, 3rd (shhh) a Daewoo Leganza (same chassis as the Cavalier!)....so the wheels always fit.....4th and 5th cars were Mundaneos....but luckily same size tyres

Since moving to Norway, I've now learnt that tyres only last 7 years, before the rubber deteriorates...that's why on the EU Kontrol they actual check tyre dates!!!
(My old man had a trailer with tyres that were at least 20 years old....BUT....he NEVER (hardly ever), put more than 3 tons of stone/concrete/etc in it!.....he didn't want to change the tyres, as the old cross-ply ones had become expensive! )
BTW, as far as I know, that trailer is still in his garage...even though he's been dead for 12 years.....only person who "could" move it is my brother, and he's scared sh*t that it will pull be rear of his Volvo XC70 off.... (Strange a T4 has towed it MANY times to the tip! )

I'll get you pics when I can.
Gaz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in