Old 28-09-19, 20:43
taking too long to build van2
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Kaz - total strip down - 2nd Project - will have lots of pics!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-10-19, 20:15

Chipped away at a few things today, namely fitting the radio head unit + AuxBattetry feeds. The result has meant for some reason that the dreaded aftermarket alarm has reared its head again and goes off every 30secons or so whenever the head unit is switched on.

So for me that's the final strike and I'll be ripping the alarm out once and for all.
Old 20-10-19, 19:11

Question Re: Kaz - total strip down - 2nd Project - will have lots of pics!

A few updates image-wise in this post and some progress updates after a couple of days at it....

Ripped of the rest of that 3rd part alarm. Some amount of e but thankfully not too much damage to the original looms and was able to secure everything back with no faults.

It does, however, mean that the central locking no-longer works so I guess I need to find myself a factory loom for central locking and put that in? (also a fob addition to make it radio-controlled) What's everyone's thoughts on that - is it worth doing or shall I take out the actuators etc and sell them...

Some back-dated images...

The engine-bay lighting in place.

Dash parts going back together bit by bit as I close up the electrics and such

As I'm trying to make things look as stock as possible but also be functional... Spent a fair bit if time on the detail. Removed the Cig-lighter and modified the dash surrounds to take a nice flush marine voltmeter (display is in green also). I've moved the hazard lights switch to the main switch bank with a VWPassat switch and used the space to put in a double USB port.

I also knew I would have extra LED strips as I bought by the 5mtr reels so did a little be if silliness behind the bonnet grill. Its been set at a slight angle so that when moving it looks like its programmed fade L>R. A nod to knight rider. - See also here for a bit of Video twitter post
I can control these and others from the dashboard 'zombie-lights' switch.

Old 21-10-19, 15:44
Van Master Jedi

Fantastic work, the illuminated grill is a great touch

Pete (Pduk)
2013 White T5.1, Click here to view my build thread aka the Tin Tent
Old 26-10-19, 20:40

A day of progress with good news and bad news....

Good;

Corrected all the terrible scrotch-block towbar wires and tidied it all up and fitted the seat covers spending plenty to time tucking everything in to get it just right. Popped them in to check all is well (need to get a smaller headrest for drivers chair as its the old Inka style which is too big for the covers (so are the armrests so had to order those, which will mean I'll have two quality inka armrests available to sell at some point.

Bad;

Well ... How did I forget to calculate for the wood panle. The distribution box is in the way meaning I can't get the seat secured back to the rails.

So I've had to open it up, dis-mount it, release a load of the cables to get the seat on. and then remount it properly so it all fits. I have had to put it lower down which as meant repositioning and disconnecting so much to get it in the right place and even trim the box a bit as it gets kicked out by the bend in the bulkhead. FFS. - Still got it all sorted now but in the process somehow one of the boxes switched connections has busted. Can't figure out what's gone wrong so going to have to rewire the roof lights into the one switch.

Slight silver lining means I've taken out the switch, blanked the hole with a grommet and then I can use the switch to isolate the footwell lights i'm putting in so if the doors are being left open I can turn them off from a hidden switch under the dash.
Old 31-10-19, 12:07
Van Pro

Looks great! Keep up the good work.
Old 03-11-19, 14:49
Full of Cr*p....

Re; latest post.

Got REALLY confused as to why the gear lever was in the centre of the passenger twin seat (1st pic).....I guess you just "put it there" out of the way?

Keep plodding on.
Old 05-11-19, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
Re; latest post.

Got REALLY confused as to why the gear lever was in the centre of the passenger twin seat (1st pic).....I guess you just "put it there" out of the way?

Keep plodding on.
Yeah it does look a bit odd. The gator isn;t secured down yet so makes it look a bit further over than it actually is.
Old 08-11-19, 20:33

Finally sorted a mod that I was supposed to do pre-repaint but totally forgot... The gutter pipe mod!

There are quite a few how-to's on this but most of the images are dead so thought I would make sure I took a few.
Really simple most to avoid all the water (and leaves, gunk etc going down the front wing and getting stuck in the arch void leading to rot... I was able to do this easily without taking the entire wing off and didn't have to anyway as it was clean inside.

Simple bendy ducting pipe (or hose pipe can be used) and female electrical conduit joint. I chose to trim down the flange to get a nice flush fit and adhesive sealed it down and will tidy up the sealant once cured.
Ducting simple goes over the joint piece and then thread it through the arch and out the front exit hole from the void.

Secured it down to various lashing points on both wings. Easy on this side as the radio aerial is there.

Old Yesterday, 22:48

Grabbed an interior door handle for the rear hatch + rod and did the coathanger fix to connect it all up given the absence of the standard fittings. Works a treat.

6quid ebay special for the remote central locking controller wired up to the actuators that are still fitted and all is working. Though I do seem to have poor voltage signal between the SLD contacts and its not getting enough juice to send the lock fully up/down... Something to investigate another time.

Most importantly, with the locking finally done I can put the dash back together. It was 4 years ago I painted all this up so its been a looooooong time coming to see it in situ.

Tags
2.5 tdi transporter, build thread, camper conversion, conversion thread, custom interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in