Old 08-10-19, 15:39
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon New T4 Caravelle owner

Been a member a while, but i have finally managed to get hold of a 2003 caravelle 2.5TDI 88bhp LWB.

I was hoping to get a good condition low(ish) mileage one, but i ended up with one that needs a bit more work than intended.

It has 250K miles (i know - they go on forever). needs a bit of attention to the suspension/steering, few knocks from the front.

Couple of gremlins in the interior, passenger electric window is faulty, trim is a bit tatty in places, and it is filthy so a good clean is required.

Plans is to leave it as a caravelle, but maybe upgrade the seats. would like a T5 setup of 2 plus 2 and have nice seats. i generally drive a couple of times a year to Italy, and i hope to start to carry my scooters, have a couple of old vespas, which are nice to pootle around on in the area. So plenty of space for those in the back and the family too.

Need to look into rear suspension to see whether it can cope with that weight. i'm thinking it will as the bikes aren't that heavy and i guess the caravelle has similar capacity to the panel vans.

will post pics up soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-19, 09:07
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New T4 Caravelle owner

Welcome aboard.

I believe you can find the weight loads on the inside of the drivers door.

Pete (Pduk)
2013 White T5.1, Click here to view my build thread aka the Tin Tent
Old 09-10-19, 13:18
Full of Cr*p....
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New T4 Caravelle owner

"Plans is to leave it as a caravelle, but maybe upgrade the seats. would like a T5 setup of 2 plus 2 and have nice seats. i generally drive a couple of times a year to Italy, and i hope to start to carry my scooters, have a couple of old vespas, which are nice to pootle around on in the area. So plenty of space for those in the back and the family too."

I have T5 seats in the rear of my T4....BUT!
You need a floor thickness of at least 20mm to route out the fixings for them.
AND, use some metal angle underneath for strength.

I have an option for a twin or a triple in the centre....
Van was converted from disabled vehicle when I got it.
Twin in the center, triple at the rear.
Didn't need all those seats, so moved the mountings to allow EITHER the twin central, OR the triple.
Triple has never been out of may garage, and will be going to the tip next year.
Twin is used 99% as the "dog's seat"...

Strange thing is....the "twin" has WIDER mounting slots than the "triple"....BUT, the triple does need 2 people to move it in or out of the van!!

STD T4 seat belt mounts are in the correct place for the twin or the triple.
Triple T5 has a 3 point belt in the middle, twin has it's own built in for the "inner" seat.

Edit:
Just been out and measured.......
Mine, SWB, but between the back of the "central" seats (as mounted to allow seat belts to work), there is 44" between the back of the seat and the tailgate.
I guess you get an extra 10" or so in the LWB, but will your bikes fit in there?
Maybe at an angle, but make sure you fit some straps to hold them secure.

Gaz

If you need pics, PM me with email addy.
Gaz

Last edited by Or_GazM; 09-10-19 at 13:28. Reason: Measurements

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in