Old 12-02-17, 19:38
Van Man

T4 Post Icon Advice for fitting steering rack boots

Having just replaced my steering rack boots and read several threads here before fnishing I thought I'd share a couple of things that helped me finish the job without any more swearing than usual.

Assuming that you've bought pattern ones like me I guess you'll agree that they could be slightly better sized to match the originals? correct me if I was just unlucky.

The first side I just did as usual as this is a job I've done loads of times on various different sized and makes of cars and vans. I cussed and went getting it on! I did succeed but thought there had to be a better way so had a look on here and found other comments saying how long it'd taken and people asking if they had the right boot (which I questioned too). Obviously you could heat the rubber up to make it more stretchy but hot water wouldn't be any good as you don't want water inside the boot and a heat gun just wasn't the ticket either. I found it would cool to much and loose the elasticity by the time you had it over the ball.

Sorry rambling!

I stretched the inner end (which is the troubling bit!) over a standard sized paint can base, as this matched the original quite closely. I left if like this for about an hour while I did other jobs.

Working quickly and from the wheel arch side (not under the van). Slip the boot off the can and over the ball taking the outer side seal over the ball too. Locate the seal and push, using the bulk of the boot concertina style holding it like a mini steering wheel, with your thumbs from the inside so the seal approaches the housing square. Then I held the boot in place while the rubber shrank back and fitted the clip to hold it in position.

Then carefully pull the boot back and locate the outer seal back on the rubber disc and clip it in place.

Maybe I am teaching everyone to suck eggs here, I'd have thought so before I had done this job having done so many in the past but maybe not? who knows, just hope it helps someone from teaching the neighbours kids a new vocabulary of swear words if not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-17, 19:52
Van Man

Default Re: Advice for fitting steering rack boots

Forgot to say I have a yr 2000 T4 2.5 TDI Kombi.
Old 23-06-17, 16:24
Van Rookie

Default Re: Advice for fitting steering rack boots

Just fitted new Meyle tie rods and track rod ends and Lemforder brand (from EuroParts) steering rack boots. To get the seemingly difficult inner boot onto the steering rack, , I found that removing the tie rod and old boot first worked for me, then stretch the inner boot seal by hand until its diameter exceeds that of the steering rack, then if you work quickly it'll slot straight over the rack and into the groove on the rack and regain its form into the retaining groove. Ditch the steel retaining clip that comes with the Lemforder boot as its much easier to fit a quality cable tie onto the inner boot end.
Once the boot is secured, screw in and tighten the tie rod, slip the outer boot end over the ball joint with the aid of a bit of silicone lube if needed and onto the rubber sealing ring.Cable tie to secure. having measured the tracking on the old tie rods, fit the new track rod ends and reassemble. Job done. Probably wise to get the tracking checked anyhow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in