Old 15-08-13, 09:42
Van Man

T5 Post Icon Van Scam Ad on ebay beware;

I have just spoken to the very nice people at Freewheel Leisure; the ebay listing shown below is not theirs and has been posted as a scam by caescarlysouth. They did have this van in stock in January but the ad has been ripped off in an attempt to defraud the unwary, which makes sense if you look at the price. It has been reported to ebay several times but is still up there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-VOLKS...90954951818%26
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-13, 16:25
Van Pro

Default Re: Van Scam Ad on ebay beware;

This scam is so popular now, I've been looking for one for a buddy of mine and there is almost always one on eBay, auto trader, Gumtree, they always have a similar story " I'm in the army " " I've just got a new job abroad " etc etc etc and I'll drop it off for you if you will wire me the money, yeah right!!

My best way to sniff them out ( other than the fact that there nearly always 60% cheaper than they should be ) is to ask for the mot test number , they wont have it !! And you'll know then its a scam and not to waist anymore of your time,

This really needs to be highlighted by this forum, I came to this forum a fare while before getting my t5 because its the best place for info and I'm sure it will help some poor unsuspecting buyer
Old 17-08-13, 17:09
Lord of the T4s

T4 Post Icon Re: Van Scam Ad on ebay beware;

Ebay really p###'es me off I reported this smae add a few days ago, after numous emails and calls it was taken down ! NOW its back ? wtf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-13, 17:42
Van Rookie

i saw it, too cheap to be true, avoided it ovbviously
Old 20-08-13, 13:33
Van Rookie

I've had two in one week

2006 VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER VAN #121146573930

Vehicle Reg: BN56 XZC
Username: Venessa Coleman
E-Mail Name: Isabel Morales or [email protected]
Item has ended & not been re-listed

and

2005 VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER CAMPER BLUE

Vehicle Reg: BF05 NEN
Username: Seth Miller
E-Mail Name: [email protected]
Item has been removed

Can't believe this is still allowed to happen on Ebay
Old 20-08-13, 14:15
Van Man

I had a another email from Ms Morales this morning, very persistent but she still hasn't asked for any money, think that will be the next one.....
Old 20-08-13, 14:36
Van Rookie

Here is her last response:

Because I`m in France right now I decided to use eBay's services because is safer for everyone and my cousin agrees to deliver the car if I have a secure transaction.
This way you'll get a 5 days testing period after my cousin will deliver the car. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. This way you will be able to inspect the vehicle before you decide to buy it and I know that you have the money and you are not just fooling around. Please let me know if you are agree because I have some offers and I need to give an answer.
In order to start the transaction please confirm your eBay ID, name and your register email address from eBay so I can start the transaction with eBay.
Please call me at 07443238587 if you want more details(I will not answer at private number)

I can`t send links from my e-mail so I take a print screen to show you about this program. I attach 2 pictures.

Thank you
Isabel

And here is mine, send her the same reply like she is doing:

I have had an almost carbon copy of these e-mails with another person about a totally different vehicle which strangely after speaking to Ebay has disappeared. There is no such thing as Ebay buyer protection on motors or property and i would not buy anything without seeing the vehicle or doing the transaction with the owner in person.

I think this is a scam and i will be reporting it to ebay. I asked several times the same questions and not once were they answered. The sooner this rubbish gets stopped the better!

If i see this van or username, again it will be reported to Ebay
Old 20-08-13, 20:31
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

I've had the 'Isabel' email as well, the only way these scams work is because of greed and people thinking they'll get something for nothing!!
My accountant recently called me as he had a lady there looking for advice on such a purchase, i told him what sort of deal and terms she'd been offered and she was amazed i knew all about 'her deal'. After me then spending 10 minutes telling her how the scam worked she still wanted to send the money as the seller seemed so genuine
I then advised her to send the 10k directly to me where i would return her 5k so she'd only lose half her money.........finally she understood!!
Old 20-08-13, 21:11
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

You've got to wonder how many people actually fall for these cons and end up losing their hard earned dosh
Old 20-08-13, 21:20
Van Rookie

I contacted one just to see what they would say as it looked to go to be true. I had the story about being in the Army on a training exercise in the Isle of Mann and that a posting had come up to Haiti. A few things seemed out of place a) is there an army base in the Isle of Mann, b) Haiti seemed like an idillic posting compared to some of the other areas that our troops are posted to and c) how on earth was I receiving such prompt responses from someone who claimed to be on an exercise in the Isle of Mann, away from base and not contactable via phone at the base.

If it seems to be good to be true then it normally is!

Tags
scam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in