Old 15-01-11, 14:00
Van Guru

Default Re: FAQ thread for newbies! Work in progress.

How many turns on the front torsion bar can I go before I hit the bump stops? Don't know the answer myself!

Does the alternator drive belt go over or under the waterpump pulley on 1.9TD? It goes undernath!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-11, 12:44
Van Pro

How about a list of models and years?
i know thats asking a bit, but there are a lot of variants out there to us newbies
Old 05-03-11, 18:30
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daskx View Post
You need to add:

Q - On my T4 the central air vents only chuck out cold air not hot!!!

A - This is normal, don't panic they are not broken

Hi everyone, newbie here, I have a 1999 1.9TD T4 in red, my dog / goat / chicken / feed and hay transporter!

And I asked my step dad who had the van from new as I noticed it when I got it 4 years ago, he had the van for 7 years and didn't notice! Even the VW / Audi mechanic couldn't tell me why, LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-11, 00:40
Van Rookie

Jimmy James, many thanks,

the threads and links help, had the van for 2 weeks and thought the heaters were knackered. not sure why but icant seem topost on the wanted page. am trying to get a hold of some steel rims and euro headlights as am posted to Germany (and need them toget legal) but I get a message that I have no rights to post on that page.

Any suggestions how i fix this.

Thanks
Old 04-05-11, 01:07
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-ab View Post
Jimmy James, many thanks,

the threads and links help, had the van for 2 weeks and thought the heaters were knackered. not sure why but icant seem topost on the wanted page. am trying to get a hold of some steel rims and euro headlights as am posted to Germany (and need them toget legal) but I get a message that I have no rights to post on that page.

Any suggestions how i fix this.

Thanks
You have to subscribe to the forum and pay a tenner to post in the wanted and also to sell, its worth it. you get more feautres too, have a good look around, its all on here
Old 04-05-11, 01:16
Barmy Army to the Darkest Side
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentHelp For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW TransporterAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
You have to subscribe to the forum and pay a tenner to post in the wanted and also to sell, its worth it. you get more feautres too, have a good look around, its all on here
just for info...this is what you get for the 10 annual subscription

Posting threads in classifieds
Access to user profiles
Sparkly badge
Bigger pm box
Unlimited 'in-forum' Album facility
^^ Thus allowing one to Post pictures directly on a thread using the forum and not an external host
Ability to turn off adverts
Bigger Avatar
Ability to edit your posts
Credits for use in the Showroom

Personalised tables and table accessories
Old 30-05-11, 19:36
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMYJAMES View Post
One too many Jamex spring questions, so its time for a FAQ section. I have got to go out but will have a think what to put here and all suggestions are welcome. I will update the first post as i think of things and suggestions are made, links to relavent threads would also be really good

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and lets keep this thread for T4's eh

1 - Are a certain brand of springs beginning with 'J' any good? In short no they are not unless you have a empty van all the time. There are plenty of other very reasonable makes which are much better and not a lot more .

2 - My 1.9td crank is wobbling around should i worry about it? 100% Yes! You need to get it looked at before the woodruff key shears on the sprocket and causes major damage.

2 - Will these alloy wheels fit? There is no definative answer to this but a general rule of thumb is most things can be made to fit so long as the PCD (pitch circle diameter) is 5x112. If in doubt and you dont find the answers post away!

3 - Which engine is best? Depends on what you are using the van for. If you need loads of torque for towing the 2.5tdi is best otherwise the 1.9td/d and 2.4d are all very capable. 1.9td is very tunable and easy to maintain and the 2.4d can have a low pressure turbo added to get some more bhp. The 1.9d is not tunable.

4 - Can i fit a 1.9tdi engine to my TD van? YES! Loads of us have done it and you can use any 1Z/AHU/AFN code engine but try to get a complete donor vehicle with the engine mounted across the engine bay otherwise you will have to fabricate engine mounts. Read the threads in the TDi conversion database before considering taking the job on.

5 - On my T4 the central air vents only chuck out cold air not hot!!! Is this normal? This is normal, don't panic they are not broken, only vans with air conditioning use the centre vents for heat. Believe it or not its a feature and a useful one at that.
you got some great info for us newbies m8..just ref section,3 - Which engine is best?..i maybe looking at trying to tune the 88bhp 2.5tdi engine in my soon to be t4, would anyone know would it is worth it and if so how much power is to much?. thanks
Old 30-05-11, 21:45
Lord of the T4s
I Support MacmillanRegional Coordinator

Can I ask what showroom credits are please, seen these mentioned in the showroom, often wondered what they are
Old 31-05-11, 00:49
Somebody stop me!
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Location: Whissonsett, in sunny Norfolk. (yes there is a place with such a name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaka View Post
you got some great info for us newbies m8..just ref section,3 - Which engine is best?..i maybe looking at trying to tune the 88bhp 2.5tdi engine in my soon to be t4, would anyone know would it is worth it and if so how much power is to much?. thanks
Too much power is down to the state of your clutch TBH, Dantro is running around the 200bhp mark on his 2.5tdi but i have heard of some with considerably more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd13 View Post
Can I ask what showroom credits are please, seen these mentioned in the showroom, often wondered what they are
They are issued to members and are used like a payment for advertising
Old 31-05-11, 01:59
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

What is this thread about?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in