VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

New to T4 - say hi and be gentle

528 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rhffgb2 
#1 ·
Hi,
Have just tracked down a T4 coach-built motorhome owned from new by my late Mum, and bought it (for very little - like sub £1k). Awaiting its arrival from the yard where it's been kept for the last 6 years. Only 35k from new; no structural corrosion that I could detect but it does have an engine related issue, as yet unknown.
Engine is the 2 litre petrol AAC with manual 5 speed box. When last moved for its MoT (2012), the engine had water in the oil; this apparently was drained, flushed through and refilled with new oil and filter; some kind of water sealant added and then taken for MoT (which it passed). On return, the engine played up and it hasn't been run or attended to since.
I'm minded to obtain a spare AAC engine (I currently have an option on one) in case the problem is more than a head gasket; also minded to convert to LPG once the engine issue's resolved.
Any thoughts or advice?

#3 ·
Thanks Steve. I've been reading about the Mk3 GTI block and head swop and that might be a possibility to consider. As this isn't going to be my daily driver I think I'd prefer to stay with petrol/LPG rather than diesel. Thanks for your thoughts tho'

IanB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.