Old 04-06-18, 14:55
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Potential new owner...almost there

Just saying hi as I was trawling through the forums looking for information on turning a pop-up roof into a bedroom. This looks to be a great site and if I do end up with a camper (my kids are extremely keen that I do!) I'm sure I'll be back many many more times.

I have been looking for a camper for a few months and have found one I like a lot - a 1999 Bilbos Nektar LWB (rear kitchen which I like). Completely spotless inside and out to the point where I wonder how much it could have been used and extremely low mileage. Trade seller wants 15k for it. I have been trying find comparisons for similar vans online to see if this price is ok but it is difficult as there is so much variation on completed sales. Far more variation than with cars for example. I am having it inspected regardless as this is my first van purchase and there is much to learn.

Anyway the van is currently only configured for 2 birth but I have seen from other vans that many are configured to use the roof space as a second bedroom - for the kids in my case. How easy would it be to retro fit a removable floor space? The roof does have a very natural "lip" to it which would lend itself to supporting some sort of floor. The pop-up lifts sideways and covers almost the entire length of the roof.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-18, 16:30
Bercow fan club
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Potential new owner...almost there

Price sounds about right, regarding the bed boards and adaptations give Bilbos a call directly as they are really approachable and in my experience happy to advise...
Old 04-06-18, 17:57
More than a little van obsessed

T4 Post Icon Re: Potential new owner...almost there

Agree with my learned friend on the price, and if it really is as good as you say; then you need to get it before someone else does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-18, 10:52
Van Rookie

Many thanks for the quick replies. Cheers for the suggestion to call Bilbos - I have just done that and waiting for someone to call me back. I have some ideas on how to do a DIY version but if something more professional can be done without spending stupid money, I'd be up for that.
Old 15-06-18, 22:08
Van Rookie

So we are go for purcahse - I complete the sale and pick it up this Thursday! Can't wait.

Off down to Croyde tomorrow for a night in a tent to pick up an awning I found on ebay - a Khyam driveaway. A couple of bus owning friends have these and tell me they are first class.

Next up once we collect the T4 is of course a first trip away but then the first thing I want done is some tint added to the living space glass. Not sure yet what % to go for. I want some privacy and a nicer appearance but not to the point of spoiling the view.
Old 16-06-18, 04:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz555 View Post
So we are go for purcahse - I complete the sale and pick it up this Thursday! Can't wait.

Off down to Croyde tomorrow for a night in a tent to pick up an awning I found on ebay - a Khyam driveaway. A couple of bus owning friends have these and tell me they are first class.

Next up once we collect the T4 is of course a first trip away but then the first thing I want done is some tint added to the living space glass. Not sure yet what % to go for. I want some privacy and a nicer appearance but not to the point of spoiling the view.
Glad you decided to 'take the plunge' .................. and good luck with it all. A better choice than plan 'B'.

Two words on 'tint', get the best foil you can, and inform your insurance company.

I have a friend who did not, and come the time he needed them .................. they would not pay out (undeclared non-factory modification reported by the engineer!!).

I used to have 'limo' on all windows, including cab side; in the good old days when you could do that
Old 18-06-18, 09:15
Van Rookie

Cheers for the tip re insurance. Easy to forget these mods and then get stung later.
Old 18-06-18, 14:01
Van Rookie

Hi all, i'm look for some advice. Im looking to join the T4 ferternaty, I've seen a 1997 swb that's have a mk3 golf 1.9 tdi engine fitted around 2.5k ago. I'm not a machanic and as I know nothing of T4 issues I'm after a bit of help .
The ad says its registered as a campervan.
Any advise would be greatifully received thanks
Old 18-06-18, 15:19

T4 Post Icon Re: Potential new owner...almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindlesjnr View Post
Hi all, i'm look for some advice. Im looking to join the T4 ferternaty, I've seen a 1997 swb that's have a mk3 golf 1.9 tdi engine fitted around 2.5k ago. I'm not a machanic and as I know nothing of T4 issues I'm after a bit of help .
The ad says its registered as a campervan.
Any advise would be greatifully received thanks
With modifications it will be down to insurance as much as anything ......................... why not start a new thread of your own for further advice
Old 19-06-18, 14:48
Full of Cr*p....
Official MemberVW Transporter

Why don't people say where they are......often there is someone on the forum close (ish) that could help without typing a 1000 words trying to describe something!

scruffy has no idea where he is (due to age and the meds he takes!), but NOT putting a location just means you get less local help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in