Old 02-03-09, 15:50
Van Man

Question Rear seat belts on Reimo Variotech seat

I'm a newbie so hope I'm not posting this in the wrong area - flame me gently if so!

I've got a T4 Reimo with sliding variotech seat - with 2 lapbelts. Problem is that I've got 2 kids, and the second one is growing out of his "baby" car seat and needs a booster seat. Booster seats need 3 point (lap and shoulder) belts, so I've been looking at my options around this and it's tricky to say the least. I could get a new variotech seat with 3 point belts, but they are horrendously expensive (£3k+). I asked my garage about fixing seat belt mounting points to the van, which they said they could do, but I'd also need to bolt down the sliding back seat otherwise it'd fail the MOT. This would be impracticle as Reimo vans need the seat to slide around so you can open the various cupboards.
The guys at Middlesex Motor Caravans make their vans with sliding Reimo seats and mounted belts, and they tell me there is not a problem with MOTs - which could solve my problems, but I'd love to know if any one else has resolved a problem like this?

Cheers
Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-09, 08:22
More than a little van obsessed
I Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Rear seat belts on Reimo Variotech seat

Middlesex Motorcaravans fitted my seatbelts with my Variotech.

Will post some pics for you later

Simon.
Old 03-03-09, 10:30
Van Man

Pics would be great - I've been looking on the DVLC websites etc to try and nail down the MOT rules, but it's all a bit woolly. I can't see anything saying that you can't have seat belts fixed to the van with seats on rails, so I hoping I've just got the wrong steer from my local garage. If I get some pics of your van to show them, then hopefully that would convince them. I get a great service from these guys, so I want to keep using them and I'd get them to fit the belt attachements for me.

I'm gonna ring Rob (previous posting) later for a chat as well. Can't bear the thought of having to give up my van for the sake of not being able to fit a booster seat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-09, 10:50
More than a little van obsessed
I Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter

As it was originally a panel van there were no seatbelt points at the rear of the van meaning the variotech seat had to be in the forward postion for travelling using the C pillar seat belt mounts. The variotech can still be used in the forward position with the buddy seat removed.

Plates have now been installed at the rear of the van allowing the fitment of 3 point belts so the seat can be positioned further back.

This has freed up space to allow for the installation of a quick release 'buddy' seat behind the front passsenger seat.

The buddy seat can be postioned either forward or backward facing

All work carried out by Middlesex Motorcaravans
Old 03-03-09, 17:22
Van Master Jedi

I have a Reimo Variotech seat with two 3-point seatbelts, fitted by a company called Luxe UK (they did my camper conversion). I've had the van MOT'd since with no problems. The seat and fittings are all TUV approved.
I have two young children so did'nt want to take any chances with things like this.
As long as it's done properly you should have no issues.
Old 03-03-09, 21:02
Van Man

Thanks Rob, If my understanding of German wasn't so poor, I might have better luck with this site - I've run it through a translator and I think I get the jist of it.
This
http://reimonew.ms-visucom.de/en/580...ikgurt_rechts/
could be exactly what I'm after as it'll convert my lap belt seat into a 3-point seat, and will still let me slide the seat around to whatever position I want with the booster seat intact.

I'm gonna give the guys at CMC a ring tomorrow and see if they can confirm that this will fit. They did the original conversion on my van so hopefully they know.

Fingers crossed.
Old 04-03-09, 07:22
mr plastics

I agree if you want advice on seat belt applications on the Reimo Variotec seat it is strongly recommended that you contact an accredited UK Reimo agent such as Concept Multi-Car Ltd telephone 01303 261062.

The Variotec seating system is a fully crash tested seat. A full crash tested system means all aspects of its operation and fixture, and seat belt attachment in each vehicle application. To modify the seat in any way will void the TUV approval or render the seat unsafe.

Seat belts are one of the most important components of a seat as this is the device that restrains the body. Just because a seat comes with a seat belt does not make it safe. If the seat belt is not fitted in line with strict defined dimensions to restrain the tarsal and spread the load over the correct area of your body the results could be damage to internal organs.

Just a note the seat belt component in the Link to Reimo Catalogue is not for T4 but for Vito. Not wishing to blow any trumpets but I know this part very well as I designed the Reimo Dreamline moulded interior for The Vito before the vehicle as lunched on the market. I spent many weeks trying to develop a mould to allow for the operation of the belt in the rear position of the vehicle.

If in doubt contact the seat manufacture’s agent they have the answers and I am sure will be only to willing to help as safety is top of their business agenda.
Old 04-03-09, 09:02
Van Man

Thanks Tony - you're right in that whatever solution I come up with, it's got to be 100% safe as it's my kids I'm doing this for. Doesn't matter how careful you drive, you always got to consider the "worse case" scenario.
Had a look at your web-site - I can see you know this subject fairly well!!
Old 04-03-09, 11:29
Van Man

Wink Re: Rear seat belts on Reimo Variotech seat

I don't think adapting the seat is a feasible option - think the apapter will get in the way of everything. I've spoken to Hilary at CMC, and she's put me on to Jerba Campervans over in North Berwick. I'm taking the van over there when I get a chance and hopefully they will be able to fit a belt at the back of the van.

I'm not technically or mechanically competant enough to try this myself - I'll let the experts handle the scary safety stuff and I'll stick to hanging curtains!

I will update this post when I've been over to Jerba - thanks to everyone that's posted and helped me out.
Old 04-03-09, 17:19
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomas17 View Post
Thanks Rob, If my understanding of German wasn't so poor, I might have better luck with this site - I've run it through a translator and I think I get the jist of it.
This
http://reimonew.ms-visucom.de/en/580...ikgurt_rechts/
could be exactly what I'm after as it'll convert my lap belt seat into a 3-point seat, and will still let me slide the seat around to whatever position I want with the booster seat intact.

I'm gonna give the guys at CMC a ring tomorrow and see if they can confirm that this will fit. They did the original conversion on my van so hopefully they know.

Fingers crossed.
I've got one of those on my variotech seat chassis. It might not foul your cabinets if you have them. What is the overhang of the seat base/upholstery over the side of the seat chassis?

Tags
belts, mot, seatbelts, seats, variotech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in